Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit embarassing this. Bought new micro-ATX mobo (Asrock 4 core 1333 full HD), put into new Aerocool M40 case witha 750W PSU, Intel Q6600 processor and 2GB of Crucial Ballistix DDR II 800 RAM. No video card, no HDD - using on-board vga socket to feed a monitor (which I have tested with aniother PC and which is OK), no keyboard, no mouse. It should still boot into BIOS? Wired up all connections (including PC speaker)and turned on. Zilch. Nothing. Only a malevolent LED power light (so I know the PSU is feeding the mobo). CPU fan twitches but the remains still after that. No POST beeps or noises. Nothing.

Only thing I have noticed is that if I disconnect the ATX 12v four pin power supply (which is connected in addition to the main 10 (?) pin ATX power supply) the CPU fan runs. When teh 12v ATX is plugged in, it does not.

Tried with only one RAM module and changed between the two I have. No change. Checked CPU and socket. They all look Ok - they have bent "springy" pins that make contact with a circle/dot rather than going into a pin-hole. But can't see anything wrong. No change.

I really would REALLY appreciate any advice that can be offered. I don't know whether it is the CPU, mobo, RAM or just me being stupid. Just spent six hours fiddling around with it and don't know what to do next.

Yours desperately,

Michael.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Re: No BIOS on new PC?

Bit embarassing this. Bought new micro-ATX mobo (Asrock 4 core 1333 full HD), put into new Aerocool M40 case witha 750W PSU, Intel Q6600 processor and 2GB of Crucial Ballistix DDR II 800 RAM. No video card, no HDD - using on-board vga socket to feed a monitor (which I have tested with aniother PC and which is OK), no keyboard, no mouse. It should still boot into BIOS? Wired up all connections (including PC speaker)and turned on. Zilch. Nothing. Only a malevolent LED power light (so I know the PSU is feeding the mobo). CPU fan twitches but the remains still after that. No POST beeps or noises. Nothing.

Only thing I have noticed is that if I disconnect the ATX 12v four pin power supply (which is connected in addition to the main 10 (?) pin ATX power supply) the CPU fan runs. When teh 12v ATX is plugged in, it does not.

Tried with only one RAM module and changed between the two I have. No change. Checked CPU and socket. They all look Ok - they have bent "springy" pins that make contact with a circle/dot rather than going into a pin-hole. But can't see anything wrong. No change.

I really would REALLY appreciate any advice that can be offered. I don't know whether it is the CPU, mobo, RAM or just me being stupid. Just spent six hours fiddling around with it and don't know what to do next.

Yours desperately,

Michael.
If you think there is no BIOS on your PC, watch out for that chips... that's clips store BIOS information there

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: No BIOS on new PC?

Sorted. Issue was ATX 12v power aupply 4 pin. I had used the 4 pin plug from the 20+4 ATX main block, rather than a clip enabled 4 pin on the PSU (my mobo will not work AT ALL unless the 4 pin is plugged in). I missed it because it was clipped to another 4 pin and looked like a solid 8 pin. When I split them and plugged in teh clipped 4 pin - voila! Up and running, but thought I would post for others.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.