Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. I jus purchased a new kingston 4gb ram stick yesterday. I already have a kingston 4gb stick in my desktop.

The new ram i bought has the serial number :KVR1333D3N9K2
and my previous one is :KVR1333D3N9

My motherboard is GA-X58A-UD3R.

the issue is, i got home unplugged all the power cords and stuck in my new ram into the same channel as my original ram, and just assuming that it would work fine i put the case back together and plugged everything in.
everything was loading fine until it got to the windows loading screen where the windows logo appears. it got halfway through arranging the colours into the logo then the computer just restarted and giving a message saying that windows failed to load this may have been caused by recently installed hardware.
so i took the new ram out and everything worked fine. then i took out the original ram and put in the new one on its own. same problem occurred. i tried dual channel and keeping it in the single channel with every combination and nothing worked. so i thought it must be the stick, so i took it back to the store and exchanged it this afternoon. I am still facing the same problem. the new one i got is also from a kit of 2x $gb ram sticks.

Is it possible that a single stock from the 2 stick pack will not work on its own? or without its partner?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
Re: New RAM issue

i run the same board with corsair 3x2g sticks

i stopped using kingston ram when they would not replace some sticks

put the ram in slots 1 and 3 and make sure it is seated the clips clicking over does not mean it is seated

what colour are the ram leds on the m/board when both sticks are in

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts

Mixing RAM brands/specs often results in your problem. Try as dai suggested.
If it doesn't work out I would return the new stick and get a matched pair of 2X2GB of a better brand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Ok i discovered the problem, my mobo was set to auto RAM frequency in its bios, so i dropped it to 800 MHz and both work fine now, the new ram stick worked on its own at 1066MHz but not with both, so i dropped to 800 and it was fine. So yeah, thanks for the input guys, i hope this information helps anyone else in the future who comes across this problem with this mobo. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.