·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
Re: New PSU Only Turns On For A Second

double check the cpu power connector and the main power connector, also make sure the graphics card power connectors are in properly.

Also try different connectors if you have them.

Any of those connectors not in properly can cause the psu to turn and then turn off straight away.

Also smell the power supply. If it smells like vinegar on burned paper then it is deffinetly knackered.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

Smells like new, and I'm sure they're in right because I've tried in multiple times and pushed until they clicked. The motherboard connector didn't click though, but it won't go in farther.

Also, to mention, my old PSU has the white -5v wire, and the new one doesn't. I have a MSI USA 760GM-P34 (FX) motherboard, which doesn't need the wire.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
7,670 Posts

my old PSU has the white -5v wire, and the new one doesn't
Nothing to worry about. The -5v was dropped from the ATX spec several years ago.

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts

can you try on another computer? if so do and if it's faulty RMA it. If you can't RMA it anyway and get a replacement.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
7,670 Posts

·
Registered
2,779 Posts

Also check the in the BIOS that the onboard graphics is set as primary and connected, as installing a new card and connecting that will have the same shutdown effect.
Once detected, install the drivers then connect the new card.
Does the new graphics card work with the old PSU?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Yes, it does. It shuts off when starting games though, because the 12v rail becomes overloaded.

So, when I get the new PSU, don't put a GPU in, and use the onboard graphics to set it up?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.