Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, I just recently bought a new PC by parts, and though I've put PC's together many times before, for some reason, something's not working right now. Here's what I have:

FSP Group SAGA+ 400R ATX12V 400W Power Supply
AsRock Wolfdale1333-D667 945GC Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 Allendale 2.2GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
OCZ Value Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5400)
EVGA GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
Western Digital Caviar SE 160GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive
Asus LightScribe 20X DVD+/- R/RW Drive

I've connected the ATX power connector, and the ATX 12V connector, the usb header pins, and the front panel pins. (Naturally I've also connected the hard drive, dvd drive, video card, and ram). I know it's easy to make a mistake in connecting the pins for the front panel, so I have tried all possible combinations, based on the manual specification.

What happens when I press the power button on my PC case, is the fans start workign briefly, and after about 1-2 seconds turn off. After that, no matter how many times I press the power button, nothing happens. I am beginning to think that maybe the power supply is not strong enough, as the previous PC I built had a 450W power supply. I'm not sure though, and feel like it should be able to start on 400W. Please help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: New PC, assembled myself, can't start

Maybe try just going bare bones...1 stick of RAM...1 HD on IDE 1...no CDROM etc and take it from there.

If you still have no joy...then don't put any RAM in and see if you get the POST beeps....this may tell you if the board is dead or not.

Other than that I have no ideas other than to clear the CMOS...take the battery out, swap the jumper for a bit, put the jumper back and put the battery back.

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
Re: New PC, assembled myself, can't start

pcie needs a min output on the 12v+ line of 26amps
current day computers usually start with 550+ quality psu and go up from there depending on the video card pull
set it up out of the case on a piece of cardboard with
video
cpu
ram
speaker
and see if you get post,if you do check you have a standoff for each hole in the m/b usually 9 and that they line up with the holes
no extras and no less
check the cpu h/s is seated correctly

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I gave it to a repair guy, who claimed the heatsink wasn't all the way in... What I found strange when I took it home, is that it would not turn on while on its side.... that completely blew my mind... I took it home, after he claimed he fixed it, plugged it in, and tried to turn it on... and it did the same thing as above... turn on for 3 secs and off... So I put it up on the flooor, the way it would be standing if it was set up, tried again and everything started working... WOW.

The problem is solved though, so thanks everyone for the help.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
i am a little confused, you had it on the side and it wouldnt turn on? why would you have it on the side?

if thats the case, when its on the side, perhaps a standoff in the case touches something on the back of the board, causing a short.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, I'm confused too and don't really call this a solution. It's more of a happy accident really.

I find these kind of problems very annoying and the more you can tell the community about it was fixed makes all the difference for everyone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.