Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My motherboard was recently causing problems like faulty ram slots and burning of RAM, and other issues. I have decided to buy a new motherboard. I have connected all of the cables properly and when I boot the PC, upon the loading of the operating system, the computer restarts itself. This happens when the green and red orbs of the windows 7 logo appear. After every reset, the computer resets itself again, creating a loop. I thought that the problem might be with the OS and wanted to re-install it. When I changed the boot order to boot from CD-ROM first instead of showing the "PRESS ANY KEY TO BOT FROM CD" message, it just shows a dot. I have connected the old motherboard back and all was working like before( the OS was working normally). I have taken the purchased motherboard to the store which I bought it from and the technician connected the motherboard in front of me to one of their PC's and it was working just fine. I have re-installed the motherboard on my PC several times and it still was not working. What may be the problem and what should I do?

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Re: New motherboard causes reset loop

It certainly sounds like a Mobo problem.
Try bench testing precisely as listed below.

Remove EVERYTHING from the case.
Set the motherboard on a non conductive surface. The motherboard box is perfect for this. DO NOT PLACE THE MOTHERBOARD ON THE STATIC BAG! It can actually conduct electricity!
Install the CPU and heat sink.
Install 1 stick of RAM.
Install the video card and attach the power supply connection(s) to the card if your card needs it.
Connect the monitor to the video card.
Connect the power supply to the motherboard with both the 24pin main ATX Power connection and the separate 4 pin (Dual Core CPU) or 8 pin (Quad Core CPU) power connection.
Connect power to the power supply.
Do NOT connect ANYTHING else. Make sure you have the power connector on the CPU fan connected.
Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard. Consult your motherboard manual to find which two pins connect to your case's power switch. Then touch both pins with a screwdriver to complete the circuit and boot the system.

If all is well, it should power up and you should get a display. Then assemble the parts into the case and try again. If the system now fails to boot, you have a short in the case and need to recheck your motherboard standoffs.

If the system does not boot after this process, then you most likely have a faulty component. You'll need to swap parts, start with the power supply, until you determine what is defective.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thank you for the answer.
I have tried that method and found out that the Optical drive was defected.
I have switched it and installed windows correctly. I now installed the 64 bit version and the PC runs great.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts

You're welcome and glad the problem is resolved and your up and running.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.