Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have the same issue here only difference is that i have 1 long continouos beep then cp will shut down, its newly set up e8400 maximus formulax38 ddr2 1gigx2 corsair dominator1066 and 320sata2 hdd and asus eah38501gig vc, after setting it up and turning it on just one long beep no post all lights lit up except for the cpu using a 4pin connecter for the eps12v

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Re: New build not booting up II

oh sorry about the wrong post, yep a brand new cpu and brand new heat sink, even tried using a new cpu cooler contact core freezer but seems i only have a long beep and no post no boot, lights lit up on south bridge and northbridge as well on memory but cpu ligt is not lit up, by the way sir im using a generic power supply 450 watts that only have a 24 pin for the power and 4 pin for the atx12v, my mobo have 24 pinslot for the power and 8pin eps12v does it matter sir?

·
Administrator, Team Manager, Gaming, Team Manager,
54,106 Posts

The 4 pin will work with the dual core CPU for a Quad you would need the 8 pin.
Usually a long beep and a shutdown is a CPU overheating did you remove the thin plastic sheet from the heat sink before installing?
If it is a continuous beep without a shut down then it is a ram issue try using 1 stick only and if the first stick does not work try the second stick.
You may not have enough power to run the video card if it is a very weak PSU, do you have a less powerful card or a better PSU to test with?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

yup i removed the plastic on the heatsink, it will beep for about 5 seconds then it will shutdown, after that it will try to boot up again continouos beep again no boot nothing on monitor all led indicator lit up except for the cpu led then shutsdown again. dont have a less powerfull vc but i'll be changing my psu with a corsair620 soon, should i reinstall my cpu on my mobo?

·
54,106 Posts

They really only go in one way usually if they are not in correctly the heat sink will not go on but I did see a guy install a C2D in the socket without removing the black plastic shipping cover from the socket once and get the heat sink on, so I think it would be worth a try.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

problem is im a hundred % sure i removed the plastic, already used up all my thermal paste trying to reinstall it again , the heatsinks both the original heatsink fan of the procie and the core contact are all fitted in securely, might it be my psu which is a generic brand can't give enough power to my cpu? seems generic psu are overrated right?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

sir i haven't change my psu yet, but here's what i did earlier, i reomved all installed on the mother board except for the cpu, i tired to switch it on again theres no more beep but still the same problem only that the beep sounds is gone, after that i plugged the lcd poster of my motherboard, it showed cpu ini on the lcd poster what's wrong

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

ok no wi have det dram on my lcd poster, think need to get one cheap low frequency mems to boot to bios then change the settings for my mems, never thought building a good gaming rig is this tough, it' my first time anyway

·
54,106 Posts

The 1066 will boot to the JDEC standard of 800Mhz.

If this is a older stock board it may have the a older Bios that does not support the E8400 E0 stepping CPU sometimes the bios version is listed on the bar code sticker on the motherboard near the 24 pin power connector usually the last 4 digits on the bottom.
The E8400 E0 stepping needs bios version 1207 the early boards had 0401.
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/...e=en-us&model=Maximus Formula&product=1&os=25

·
54,106 Posts

The 1066 will boot to the JDEC standard of 800Mhz.

If this is a older stock board it may have the a older Bios that does not support the E8400 E0 stepping CPU sometimes the bios version is listed on the bar code sticker on the motherboard near the 24 pin power connector usually the last 4 digits on the bottom.
The E8400 E0 stepping needs bios version 1207 the early boards had 0401.
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/...e=en-us&model=Maximus Formula&product=1&os=25

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.