Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:smooch: Today I found a solution to my problem which I couldn't find anywhere online and maybe it will help you. (I wrote Tech Support for help in Aug., but nothing made it work right. Ok, Here goes:

(I have WinXP xp2 on both PCs and a wireless router.) Everything pinged fine, same workgroup, correct PC names, no firewalls interferring, the desktop was able to show My Network Places on the laptop, and access its folders and view them; everything was right except when I would use My network Places on the laptop. It would show the Desktop but when I clicked on it, it would say I didn't have permission to access,blah,blah.
Here is what I did:
I opened My Network Places on the laptop, made sure the address bar was showing at the top of window (click on View, Toolbars and checkmark Address Bar--you may have to slide it out to see it, but it is there in a corner somewhere.)
In the address bar, I typed \\desk\My Music <file://\\desk\My Music> Desk is the name of my desktop and, of course, My Music, is one of the folders I wanted to access. It pinged the desktop and went to the music folder on the desktop just perfect. Now, that may not work for you, but it did for me.
Then I clicked on Folders at the top of the My Network Place so that a left window opened like windows explorer with the folders showingdown the left side. I clicked on \\desk/MyMusic <file://\\desk/MyMusic> and drug it up to My Network Places and voila! when I went back to My Network Places it appeared there as "deskmymusic on entire network," (don't ask me why it changes names) and now, I am able to access all the folders on the desktop from the laptop because I did the same thing with each folder I wanted to be able to access.
When I click on View workgroup computers, I still cannot see anything when I click on Desk because of that "no permission blah blah" but I can see all the shared folders on the desk on the laptop in My Network Places, and in View, I chose Details, then Arrange Icons by > and chose Computer and checkmarked Show in groups. Nice and neat.
Hope this helps you and others. :tongue:
zmartha

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.