Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
God (TSF Enthusiast)
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm trying to get my two computer network to run with Linux.

It goes cable modem-->Comp1-->Comp2

It works off and on, but then goes out after a few minutes of downtime on the first computer. I restart and it works again, but I was wondering if there was a way around this. Thanks ahead of time, cause I know it's an easy fix.

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
Re: Networking in Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope [9.04]

Do you have two separate cables from<your router to each PC ?? if not then you'll need a switch between the router and the two PC's, each pc getting a separate connection on the switch

·
God (TSF Enthusiast)
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

It's not a switch. It's a home network. I have it going from the MODEM not the router as I don't have one. It goes modem to computer 1-NICa OUT computer 1-NICb INTO computer 2.

It's simple. My computer out front is owned by my parents(computer1). My computer(computer 2) is in my room. I have a cat5e going from the modem to my computer and I have a crossover cable going from their computer to my computer.

1 = computer 1;
1a = computer 1 NIC 1
1b = computer 1 NIC 2
2 = computer 2 (only one NIC)

MODEM-->1a-->1b-->2

·
God (TSF Enthusiast)
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I hate to do it... but I just have to *bump* into someone who can fix this :)

Seriously, the network works for hours and hours and hours, as long as something is going on with both computers. As soon as the computer with the 2nd NIC goes inactive for a few minutes I get booted. Any ideas? Please?!

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts

I suspect it has to do with the way you have your network set up .. it's very similar to my old kerio winroute lite setup .. worked well for ages then suddenly the PC running the software router crashed.

the correct way to run this setup is as I explained earlier using a switch and running a cable from the switch to the two pc's

That means you unplug your cable modem & your PC where the cables are plugged into the back of your mums PC.
You plug both those cables into a 5 Port Switch that you can mount next to her PC. Switches are fairly cheap. 5 Port switches are the smallest I have seen.
Plug in a new cable to run from the switch to your Mum's PC.

enable DHCP on all PC's, they should get an IP Address from the cable modem.

you will no longer require your mum's PC to be on when you want to access the internet so economising on the Electricity Bill. The cost of the Switch will pay for itself by power savings.

diagram attached of configuration

Attachments

·
God (TSF Enthusiast)
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Alright, I have an extra switch, I'll give it a shot, if nothing happens for a few days--e.g. no dropout--I'll mark this as solved.

Thanks Fishin'

·
God (TSF Enthusiast)
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Totally didn't work at all. Not even for one PC. So no go yet, still issues. Maybe I'll just deal with the dropout :-(

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts

if you have an older switch you'll need straight cables as opposed to crossover for connection .. your PC to PC will be crossover. Newer switches automatically detect cable type and auto-configure the interface so that the communication is done via the correct pins.

·
God (TSF Enthusiast)
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I'm using three straight ethernet cables, all known to be good. The only crossover is bundled next to me because I was thinking I wouldn't need it.

·
Alternative Computing, Moderator
2,754 Posts

Probably what is happening is that when the second computer goes inactive it disables power to the Nic card.
You may have to investigate power management on that computer or use a switch.

Personally I'd throw that cable modem away and buy a cable router, let the router maintain network connectivity not the second computer.

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts

Just had a really silly thought ..

maybe you are siezing up because I am not thinking this through right ...

What is the make & model number of your cable modem ?

How many PC's can it support ?

Is the gateway you gave (for your mum's PC) the cable modem ??

If Yes, where did the second gateway come into the picture .. is it because you had given that address via your Mum's PC and did you "disable" whatever you had done to your Mum's PC when you added the switch ..

Unless you really have two separate networks with two separate gateways (which would mean two separate Internet connections), Set both PC's to get an IP via DHCP whilst connected to the switch .. don't specify gateway addresses just let the system work it out for itself then let us know how it behaves .

·
God (TSF Enthusiast)
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Sorry, I'll just deal with the dropout, it's intermittent and I've tried all this. The power management has been set so even the screen doesn't shut off ever.

I can get the network to work as I had it and that switch has never worked lol.

It's fine really, it just makes my eye twitch and people disappear when my network drops out overnight.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll mark this as solved because it's not really a big issue, just annoying. Besides... I think my family is screwing with my head -_-

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
If that switch never worked .. check it out on a system that has one working already .. they don't need to be configured just plug in power on and it should work .. giving access to the network
Borrow a working switch & try again ..

If you decide to go this way again .. just let us know and we'll be here to help you :wave:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.