Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically got a question about how we should connect around 200 nods to the inter-webs.....

Basically we got this tournament coming up and I'm trying to decide- (more of fighting with a fellow volunteer) - of the best way to connect these devices to the DHCP/Nat server... (If we choose to have a NAT server......)

If you take a look at the two pictures you will get a better idea of what I'm working with...

Assuming you looked, there is around 164 xboxes that need a connection to the the WWW (world wide web). + 32 more computers that also do.

All four of these different groupings must be on a different subnet/network. I assumed it would be easier and possibly more safer, easier, and faster to use a Server and run the DHCP and Nat server on it.

Instead my co-worker believes it would be wiser to run a core switch with Vlan support and have that handle the 196ish connections.

Over all question: which one would be easier, safer (meaning which would allow better separation of each group), and fastest. Thank you, below is just some overall specs of the equipment.

Server:
AMD x4 2.3 Ghz
4GB 1066 Ddr2
2 1tb's
6 10/100/1000 Ports

Switches:

All gigabit

Cable: Cat 5e some cat 6

Attachments

·
TSF Emeritus
16,395 Posts
Re: Network Topology Question, either or kind of uestion

164 xboxes.

First of all you don't have enough devices to even consider subnetting. Use a single class c network. Router would handle the dhcp.

Yes vlan to prevent lan congestion but have you done any calculations of what kind of internet bandwidth you are going to need to 164 xboxes? You are going to need a huge pipe to the internet.

Alternatively you can bring in 4 DSL large pipes in with a router on each and do no vlaning just organize into blocks of 49 devices. This assumes none of these lan devices need to communicate with other xboxs/pcs on the lans

Doesn't appear you need a server at all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I thank you for the reply!

For internet wise- we are doing this at a college- so the internet line is huge... I know when we did a simple download off of the wireless we were getting a 4mb down. So the internet - I'm not very worried about. Plus this is for tounys within the event not free play. The only reason we need the internet is for unlocks in Black ops or Mod2 for example. But I do have a meeting with the IT tech to talk about this very thing.

(Considering they have a lan group that does smiler events every 2 months)

Router idea: We don't really have a router. We have always used the Windows Server to give out Ips and set the Gateway as the static given to us for the wan.

But the xboxs need to talk to each other within there own groups. For example the 100 need to be able to talk to each other and the 32 pcs, etc.

Thanks for your in sight!

·
Registered
104 Posts

I agree with the above assessment of your situation: You don't need subnetting, but you may have some serious bandwidth issues. I guess this depends on the specifics of what you are doing.

I assume this is a game tournament of some kind. So, the first question is: What is the reason that the LAN needs to connect to the internet? Is it that the game does not support direct LAN connections between players, so the players must connect to each other through a remote server? If this is the case, you're going to need some pretty hefty WAN connections to support that much bandwidth. Especially assuming a lack of bandwidth would probably be disastrous for what you are trying to do.

On the other hand, can connect to each other directly to play, and you just need an internet connection for players to update scores on a remote server or some other low bandwidth task, you should be fine with just one or a few high speed cable or dsl connections.

·
Registered
104 Posts

It looks like we posted at roughly the same time :)

In any case, I think you're going to be fine because most of the network traffic will be local in nature.

·
TSF Emeritus
16,395 Posts

If the xboxes need to communicate via the lan you can't vlan then. You would just create one big lan with internet access. If no router then yes use a server for dhcp.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

If the xboxes need to communicate via the lan you can't vlan then. You would just create one big lan with internet access. If no router then yes use a server for dhcp.

I thank you for you input! From what I have read- I will have to think about this one :D

Thanks all!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.