Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I would like your help on this :l
I by accidently tried to install a OS and well later on did not have the CD anymore.... and now my computer mainly boots up and has 2 choices to choose from and always points at the Microsoft ..Installer which I want to remove. Can anyone help me out here

someone said to edit the settings in startup/ recovery which I tried doing some stuff like they said but didn't go to well.

Timeout=5
Default=C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup"
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WI... Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup"

Here's what it looks like if you where going to ask.

Can anyone please help me remove it?

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Re: Need Help removing a 2nd OS startup installer

WOOT yes thank you man, that link you linked me got me to figure out how to edit the boot.ini file right and showed me what I had done wrong when editing it.

Thanks so much man!

Edit For future reference to someone who might get the same problem
(right click my computer->properties->advanced->StartUP+Recovery->Edit)

Here is what it came to be first when I by accidently tried to install a new windows.
[BOOT LOADER]
Timeout=5
Default=C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup"
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WI... Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup"

Here's the fixed version (I also located C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT and removed it later on after I fixed the boot.ini)

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=30
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

NOTE- do not just copy what I did to fix yours! you might have a different version of exp so try see what I edited/took out and fix it up I also suggest you take a look at that link for more references.

Also I believe that the "noexecute=optin" should not be there since on the site it gave an example and it did not include that part but I left it alone just incase, but still everything is going normal once agian. :grin:

· TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
7,809 Posts

HERE is a list of all switches you can put at the end next to "/noexecute=optin"

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

HERE is a list of all switches you can put at the end next to "/noexecute=optin"

Hey thanks for posting that it explained to me what that included does, do you think it trys to correct my gfx card?
/NOEXECUTE=OPTIN Enables DEP for core system images and those specified in the DEP configuration dialog.
/NOEXECUTE=OPTOUT Enables DEP for all images except those specified in the DEP configuration dialog.
/NOEXECUTE=ALWAYSON Enables DEP on all images.
/NOEXECUTE=ALWAYSOFF Disables DEP.

I was looking at this and well I noticed that for example maplestory... after a good 5 minutes or so the screen just kind of flips out and like the display becomes horibble and color are being displayed around and stuff when moving the mouse?

Would it cause a problem to experiment?

7,809 Posts

No it shouldn't cause any problems to expirement, although I guess that depends on what yoru expirement is.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Well I'm just going to switch around what noexcute is used
/NOEXECUTE=OPTIN Enables DEP for core system images and those specified in the DEP configuration dialog.
/NOEXECUTE=OPTOUT Enables DEP for all images except those specified in the DEP configuration dialog.
/NOEXECUTE=ALWAYSON Enables DEP on all images.
/NOEXECUTE=ALWAYSOFF Disables DEP.

and see if the the problem stops (and of course I know it is mainly my gfx card causing it but this noexecute option talks about displaying images)

I am going to give OPTOUT a go.

7,809 Posts

DEP doesn't directly relate to the video card, and unless it is preventing your driver from running, you will see no difference. The problem you described sounds like an overheating problem, or perhaps a bad driver.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

DEP doesn't directly relate to the video card, and unless it is preventing your driver from running, you will see no difference. The problem you described sounds like an overheating problem, or perhaps a bad driver.

You do got a point, the gfx card is able to run the game for a certain amount of time then just start displaying errors but my GFX card is known to be bad (VIa/S3G unichromell) I see many posts with people having problems with it.

Do you mabye have a program I can use to help out my gfx card and get it to not all of a sudden display errors? or at least let it last longer before it does that.

but also I have been able to play games like counter-strike and half life 1
in a certain mode display and it did not flip out at all.

7,809 Posts

Your PC isn't under warranty any more is it? (with an S3G it shouldn't be!) I don't want to advise you to open your case if it is because that will void your warranty.

If it is not covered, you could expirement with taking the side of your case off and aiming a small fan inside. This will allow for increased air flow and hopefully lower operating temperatures. If your playing time increases you can reasonably assume it is a temperature problem.

another way to diagnose this, and slightly less intrusive, would be to download a third party sensor reading program like Speedfan (they kind of hide the download, but it is there). This can tell you what temps your PC is running at (though it is not always totally accurate and depending on the age of your PC, it might not even have sensors built in) and whether or not the temperatures spike under load.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Your PC isn't under warranty any more is it? (with an S3G it shouldn't be!) I don't want to advise you to open your case if it is because that will void your warranty.

If it is not covered, you could expirement with taking the side of your case off and aiming a small fan inside. This will allow for increased air flow and hopefully lower operating temperatures. If your playing time increases you can reasonably assume it is a temperature problem.

another way to diagnose this, and slightly less intrusive, would be to download a third party sensor reading program like Speedfan (they kind of hide the download, but it is there). This can tell you what temps your PC is running at (though it is not always totally accurate and depending on the age of your PC, it might not even have sensors built in) and whether or not the temperatures spike under load.

Naw it is not under warranty anymore.
I'll take your advise and try that soon some day when no one is home (my mom will flip out on me like omg your operating on the computer now?!)

Thanks man for all the support and everyone else to :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.