Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed out a dead computer on my home network.

The new setup worked up until a day ago but wasn't up for very long. I was able to transfer a couple files before this flare up.

The Linksys card has it's driver installed and both yellow and green lights are visible. The driver CD only offers the option currently of "uninstall." System manager also sees the device.

I thought the problem was in the cable or the D-link 4 port switch. I tested the D-link switch ports with my working computer and line. I used a new cable to do this. The new cable is now attached.

The switch still does not see the Linksys. Nothing appears to be bad except they are not talking and the switch won't see the Linksys card.

The local file sharing is done under the word HOMENET as a network place and the two computers were set up in XP to recognize that.

Since the Linksys is lit, how could I do some sort of loop back test with ping or some other command? Sorry to say I have forgotten these procedures after years of having a stable system.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,345 Posts
Re: Need a test for Linksys NIC to D-Link 4 port switch

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type devmgmt.msc

Please respond to all the following steps.

1. Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed.
  2. Are there any devices under Network adapters that have a red x displayed?
  3. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?

Let's see this as well.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Ok, I will do this.

Fooling around with plugs I took a back injury. Will respond soon as I can.

If both machines are on, should the connection indicator be on on the Dlink 4 port switch regardless of the condition of the network software? Repeatedly I have tried the available ports on the switch and get nothing even though the indicators are functioning on a known good NIC.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

Some progress

Now that I know where to look I see 2 network icons down in the quick start tray. One for the Linksys has the yellow. The other has the red x. the red x one is for the sis 900 based ethernet card that was in there.

Right clicking gave the properies option and the dialog ti install or uninstall.

Please say how to straighten this out and in what order.

One of the symbols showed the net connection stuck half way (between NIC and the port I guess.) Us this why neither connection completes to the 4 port switch? I'm going to unplug the cable for now.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

That's a big job. I'll wind up copying it by hand as I've done other times. Please say in which order to delete the SiS entry and then install the the Linksys. What are you looking for in the ip config command?

Note: I thought I had removed the SiS but apparently I didn't go about it the right way.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Today I used what was on the screen to "uninstall" the SiS and did restart etc. This did not accomplish the desired goal. So what do it take to get it out?

Also the linksys gives a broken connection error at the "!" so I asked for a repair. XP says it cannot finish.... renewing your IP address.

XP says the linksys is installed properly and did not take the driver info from the Linksys disk.

The connection still does not show on my 4 port switch either.

I will try to supply ip config stuff but I cannot sit very long.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

This is now frustrating. I have no "windows" key on either keyboard and don't know what you're talking about.

The command /run box at system produces an error for ip config /all. I have run ip config before but that was a long time ago. I would appreciate detailed instructions

At the very least I should have an indicator at the switch showing the Linksys is connected.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Found the windows key on one keyboard. That opens the start menu where I was and tried to run. This time I used all caps... same error. Wait... I had a typo I think...
Ok I spelled it right but it winks on then off screen. Is there a /p command or some such that is needed to open ipconfig and stay open?

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,345 Posts

You're skipping a step.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

ok.

this is slow going.

While I'm doing this can you say how to get the driver for a (Windows stamped)
SiS 900 base 10/100 NIC? This may not be bad as I had suspected but I do not know how to track down the driver from the salvage machine.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Well I did exactly as you say and "r" just opens up the same run box that, if I type in ipconfig /all, the black box just winks on and then off.

What is going on here? I know it must work for you. Why am I getting this behavior? You must have seen this yourself at some time.

Also I am attempting a reinstall on the scratch drive to see if the install process finds an ip address for the Linksys.

Still no light on my 4 port switch box.

Does the ip reset command that I've seen from trying to find an answer to the wink out problem clear the ip addresses?

I find this way to mysterious. Why no light on the switch box?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

One other thing of note:

Two dll's on one of my installed failed from the disk:

certcli.dll
esent.dll

Because there seems to be all this ipconfig question might this have to do with certificates in the net world?

I have no idea how locate dll replacements from a faulty disk. All this doesn't explain no indicator light on the switch. Or does it?

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,345 Posts

Actually, I've never seen that behavior. Are you saying you can't open a command prompt and have it remain open? Hard to believe.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Yah, it just flips closed like it rewrote the screen. I'm sure this was answered elsewhere or maybe I haven't used that since win2k. I haven't used ipconfig in a long time but i still don't know why it snaps shut or there is no /p switch to keep it open as a page.

I have to apologize for an error I made. I said that the Linksys was known to be good. Well, after not being able to reinstall Windows from scratch, I plugged in the ol' SiS.

First thing I noticed is I got the light on the switch.

After the experience with the scratch disk I knew I could run the repair option and save my settings. So that box is functioning.

But this leaves me with a question: is there any time when the card would be *good* and *not* show the activity light when connected?

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,345 Posts

The activity light doesn't necessarily mean the card is good, however it's absence if you have the proper drivers loaded indicates something is bad, either the card, port on the router, or the cable.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.