Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently tried to instal ubuntu on an xp computer- it gave me an error then it doesnt boot anymore
it shows an error "load needed DLLs for kernel"
pleae help
thanks in advance

·
Awesom-O 4000
1,241 Posts
Re: My XP computer wont boot!!!

"load needed DLLs for kernel" - is a windows error message. It sounds like you windows OS is still on there but very corrupt. Try a Fdisk on the hard drive then install ubuntu again. Or you can go to the manufacturer of the hard drives website and download a low level format tool. These ideas will completely remove all traces of any OS off the hard drive.

·
Awesom-O 4000
1,241 Posts

To my knowledge, no. You need to reinstall it completely. However, there are some members here that are unbelieveably tech savy. Wait for another reply from one of them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

i put the hardisk in my other computer and can acces everything, all windows programs are present and working but i cant boot from it

·
Registered
5 Posts

I don't see why a windows repair wouldn't work. Since you can see your files and they seem to be in tact, it seems that just the boot area is messed up. Doing a repair on your windows installation will replace all the DLL's and windows files with the originals from a CD. And unless it is a SP3 cd, you'll most likely have to reinstall SP3.

If you get a Windows XP CD, boot from it and it will look like its installing it, but I believe when prompted you will hit a key to repair the installation. Just follow the prompts and screens and let it do a repair. I don't see why that couldn't fix the problem. As far as guided help, googling it, would yield many results if you needed guided directions on repairing windows.

As far as removing the Ubuntu part, I am not sure... But I do know Linux (and Ubuntu) uses a totally different kernel than windows, so that could create a problem too. It's possible that when windows gets repaired, it will be bootable and you can just delete the ubuntu stuff from inside windows. I personally have never installed Ubuntu or Linux on any windows computer, so I am unsure about this part.

Let me know if this helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

i found an xp cd-but the computer wont boot from it-it just skips it'i went to boot options and set it to boot from cd first but it wont work :(

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

ye it was -but now i copied all files i could to another computer and formatted the HDD and problem solved- now i have to install another xp but its ok
thanks for your help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.