Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a new build which is now constantly giving me BSOD in Win 8 Pro x64. The error always shows "whea uncorrectable error"

I hope I have done this correctly, I ran the utilities as advised and have also included the Perfmon report.

My system details.

· OS - Windows 8 Pro
· Version x64 ?
· Fresh OS install
· Full retail Win8 Pro
· Age of system New
· Age of OS installation - New

· CPU = i7-4770K
· Video Card = Sapphire HD7870 GHz edition
· MotherBoard = Asus Z87-A
· Power Supply - Enermax 1K watts

I think this seems to be related to the Asus AiSuite but cannot be certain.

Thanks in advance

Dave :dance:

Attachments

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
4,349 Posts
Re: My new BSOD problem

Hi,

All of the attached DMP files are of the WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124) bugcheck.

A fatal hardware error has occurred. This fatal error displays data from the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).

If we run an !errrec on the 2nd parameter of the bugcheck (address of the WER structure) we get the following:

Code:
===============================================================================
Section 2     : x86/x64 MCA
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Descriptor    @ fffffa80080b8138
Section       @ fffffa80080b82c0
Offset        : 664
Length        : 264
Flags         : 0x00000000
Severity      : Fatal

[COLOR=Red][U][I][B]Error         : DCACHEL0_WR_ERR (Proc 0 Bank 1)[/B][/I][/U][/COLOR]
  Status      : 0xbf80000000000124
  Address     : 0x000000021806d580
  Misc.       : 0x0000000000000086
DCACHEL0_WR_ERR = Implies there was a Cache L0 Write error.

MODULE_NAME: hardware

IMAGE_NAME: hardware

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0x124_GenuineIntel_PROCESSOR_CACHE

BUCKET_ID: X64_0x124_GenuineIntel_PROCESSOR_CACHE

^^ Implies that this was NOT caused by any sort of software complication (drivers, etc) but hardware... processor cache also furthers our diagnosis in the CPU itself (L0 Cache) possibly being faulty.

There is only so much you can do with a bugcheck like this until it comes down to a faulty processor that will need to be replaced. Start from 1 and work downward:

1. Ensure your temperatures are within standard and nothing's overheating. You can use a program such as Speccy if you'd like to monitor temps - Speccy - System Information - Free Download

2. Clear your CMOS (or load optimized BIOS defaults) to ensure there's no improper BIOS setting - How To Clear CMOS (Reset BIOS)

3. Ensure your BIOS is up to date (very important)

4. The only software conflict that can usually cause *124 bugchecks are OS to BIOS utilities from manufacturer's like Asus' AI Suite. If you have something like this software-wise, remove it ASAP.

5. If all of the above fail, the only left to do is replace your processor as it is faulty.

Regards,

Patrick

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Hi Patrick

Thank you for such a prompt reply. I had my suspicions about AI Suite but when I Googled issues about it I found I should run it as an Administrator when installing. I did this and all seemed well but the errors are now back more frequently. I have removed it totally but the errors are still with me.

It seems like my shiny new i7-4770K is faulty!

Dave :sad:

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
4,349 Posts

Hi Dave,

Sorry to hear, but as it is new, you should be able to replace it free of charge without any hassle from Intel or possibly even where you purchased it from.

Regards,

Patrick

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I bought the CPU from Amazon and they have already dispatched a replacement. It was quite strange because if I set things at Standard the crashes were infrequent. If I moved to Performance it crashed as regular as clockwork. The temperatures were also strange as even at idle it was running 75c which seems very high??

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
4,349 Posts

That is very high at idle, yes. Keep me updated when the new CPU arrives.

Regards,

Patrick

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

That is very high at idle, yes. Keep me updated when the new CPU arrives.

Regards,

Patrick
Hi Patrick

It has been a busy week but I have finally solved the issue. My new CPU arrived within a day; Amazon are so reliable!

I fitted the new CPU and there are no more BSOD errors. The idle temperature is now 26c on water cooling. I also tested it on Air and it was 30-32c with the standard Intel Cooling fan.

I have also changed the mobo and moved up to an Asus Z87-Pro, I will use the Z87-A on another build.

Thanks again for your excellent advice.

Dave

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
4,349 Posts

Hi Dave,

Fantastic to hear, and great work! I have marked the thread as solved.

Regards,

Patrick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.