Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] My laptop's screen broke... requesting replacement advice (Will a 1080p scre

6K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  laptopdude 
#1 ·
Hiya. My laptop's specs:

Dell Studio 1555
4 Gig RAM
2.4 GHz Duo Core
512MB HD Mobility Radeon

Unfortunately the screen broke owing to a visit from some mischievous younger cousins. It's pretty much smashed so that's that.

I saw a video online on how to replace it so that's all fine. I'm thinking however that maybe I should give myself an upgrade. My laptop's screen was 720p, thinking about getting the 1080p model.

Is this possible to do? Can I just order the same screen designed for the Dell Studio 1555 but have this one 1080p or will there be problems?

Thank you very much.

#3 · (Edited)
Re: My laptop's screen broke... requesting replacement advice (Will a 1080p screen wo

It's the ATI Mobility Radeon 4750 HD (512mb)...

When I was customizing the laptop originally online, I had the option to choose the same model but with an 1080p screen (same graphics card). The only reason I didn't go for it at the time was the price. I figure that I might as well treat myself since the screen is smashed now. At the same time though I really don't want any problems.

#6 ·
Re: My laptop's screen broke... requesting replacement advice (Will a 1080p screen wo

After doing some research I've decided it's best to just stick with the original screen. I was not dissatisfied with the screen, so why complicate matters eh?

I've opened my laptop up and I've attained the following information regarding the screen:

Manufactured 9/23
Model No: B156XW02 V.0
AU Optronics
H/W: BA F/W:1

So my question is, how closely must I follow this information when finding my new screen? For instance, I search for the model number 'B156XW02' I find different models with V1, V2, HWBB, etc.

Should I just get the exact same one or would it not matter? I've found one that's exactly the same but it's a bit more expensive than the others (ten pounds more).

Thanks again.

#7 ·

Try and get the exact model number replacement or compatible screen if possible.

But if the original is B156XW02 V.0 and you get the B156XW02 V.1 it should still work.

There appears to be different locations for the video connector (right or left side) make sure you get the correct one.

Make sure to check whether Matte or Glossy also.

#8 ·
#9 ·

I guess I'll go with the first one. They have a good returns policy (up to 21 days) and 3 months warranty, as well as a nice picture of the LED they are selling (which is exactly like mine). 2nd and 3rd seem a bit dodgy - bad returns policy (don't return incorrectly ordered items) and they also say 'If the exact model becomes unavailable we may send you an alternative 100% compatible lcd' which is kinda BS, eh? Last one has a 7 day return policy and 6 month warranty, BUT the grammar/spelling is absolutely atrocious. Grammar goes a long way.

All are however are very highly rated by customers (98%+) and all prices are about the same. Advantage of second and third is also next day delivery, but I really don't like their returns policy.

So people... first one. What do you think? I'm sorry to ask like this but I personally hate ordering from online outlets like ebay. I'm just always worried about getting ripped off when I do.

#13 ·

Well, my screen arrived today and (surprise, surprise) they sent me the wrong model. I specifically ordered B156Xw02 V.0 H/W:BA, but instead they sent me B156XW02 V.6 H/W:OA. ALso no 'AU Optronics' logo in sight, looks like some cheap and crappy generic make.

The result? It works, but the screen looks really washed out. The colours aren't nearly as vibrant as they used to be and it looks somewhat pixelated. I also decided to see how it would handle games, so I loaded up Counter-Strike and had ridiculous screen tearing.

Damn shame. I hate ordering off of ebay because of crap like this.

Anyway, are there any solutions? Maybe a driver issue or something I can do in BIOS? What do you recommend before I ask for a refund?

Thank you.

#15 ·

It's glossy. Yes I tried adjusting the display settings/resolution but it didn't make a difference. It does feel like a crappy screen that's for sure. Hope they don't bother me with my refund request... but they shouldn't because they didn't even send the right spec model...

I think I'll go directly through Dell this time. Should have just done that in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.