Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to everyone and apologies, as I have had a posting about my troubles on Sevenforums for a little while.

I started getting BSOD's and system freezes a few months ago, and basically lived with it however the system became so unstable that everyone in the household avoids this PC like the plague! As previously stated, I had sought help on Sevenforums and followed some very good instructions on there, including a complete disk wipe and clean install of the OS and programs. I even installed a SSD to hold the OS thinking that maybe I had an issue with the HDD, but I still got the same problem and for the time being, have reverted back to the original HDD.

With the latest 'clean install', I did not reinstall McAfee, instead downloaded MSE (on advice) and disabled the auto update of drivers through Windows Update utility. I have run Memtest86 (14 passes) which found nothing, I have run Furmark to work the GPU and had no problem and have been monitoring GPU and CPU temps, but again, nothing untoward found. One thing that is strange is that, the system appears to be more unstable during the first hour of log-on, but can still lock-up if left on, but unused, for an hour or more. What I mean by that is that it is sometimes impossible to 'wake' it back up.

I have attached the relevant dump files and really hope that someone can help me out, by looking over them. I have read through a lot of the tutorials on analysing dump files, but am not sure that my knowledge is sufficient. Apart from the 4 BSOD's since yesterday, I have also had a couple of occasions where the monitor briefly goes blank and when it comes back on, I get a message stating that the display driver had temporarily stopped working.

My system specs are:
Make Self Build PC
OS Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
CPU AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
Motherboard Asus M4A87TD/USB3
Memory Mushkin 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 8-8-8-24 Blackline
Graphics Card (Palit) Nvidia Geeforce GTX460
Monitor(s) Displays LG
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless 3000 V2.0
Mouse
Microsoft wireless 5000
PSU
Be Quiet 600W Straight Power E7 PSU
Case
Antec 300
Hard Drives
Seagate ST3500418ASATA 500Gb

Attachments

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Re: Muliple BSOD's and cannot find a solution

Just so you know, SSDs are currently the least reliable item to test with, as they are by far more prone to issues than a typical HDD.

I can see why they'd figured you had disk issues. Majority of the crashes pertain to problems with filesystem operations. If changing the drive didn't seem to fix it, then we can disregard this as suspect. However, don't bet that the SSD you slapped the OS on was in any better condition to work than the HDD.

Anyways, I'll give you the standard run-through of a couple hardware tests that are recommended. You already did Memtest so we can write that off. The disk also doesn't seem suspect, but I'll leave it in as a just-in-case. The rest are at your discretion to use, given as you didn't mention that you've performed em:

CPU: Prime95 - Torture Test; Large FFTs; overnight (9+ hours)
GPU: MemtestG80/CL - Run twice (if any of the tests work on your GPU)
Drives: Seatools - All basic tests aside from the Fix all or the advanced ones.

All of these (excluding MemtestG80/CL) are included in the UBCD if you prefer a Live CD environment (which is a good environment to test hardware on). Also, if you want, provide us temps/voltages using HWInfo with Sensors only option checked. Log two 30-minute instances: one for idle, and one for high load. I'd like you to do this so we can get an idea what temps/voltages we're dealing with here.

Finally, I'd like to add that in all cases I've dealt with as well as others here at TSF, when there are random, uncontrollable issues with a PC that does not manifest themselves in hardware testing (as in all hardware tests show up clean), then we're looking at a PSU or Motherboard issue. Your choice of PSU isn't exactly what I call a preferred option, and one should be aware that the PSU is the most integral piece to a PC. Often, individuals will select cheaper brands only looking for wattage output, only to wonder why their PC is messing up all the time. We have a pretty thorough article here on proper PSU selection.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Virgnarus,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I will run the tests and post the results as soon as I have them.

Interesting that you mentioned the PSU, because it is an item I wondered about. I actually ordered a new one to swap to if needed (Antec 700W modular) but thought I should really try to find the true cause by analysis before resorting to a 'change everything' approach.

Steve

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I have run some of the tests and will run the Torture test overnight, tonight. I have attached 3 log files from the HWInfo collection. The first being at idle,then running Prime95 and again running Furmark The last 2 I was trying to load the system.

If this is not the best way, please advise, although my crashes seem to have been either following start up or when trying to switch between applications quickly. I am not a gamer so do not think I load the system very much during my normal useage.

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Prime torture test ran overnight and system crashed at some point. I have had 2 crashes today so, latest zip file attached.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Booted PC up tonight with the intention of running Prime95 again. I logged on and then started Prime, but got A BSOD as soon as it started to set itself in motion. Had to press the reset button to get it going again, then it shut itself down soon after I logged on. This time it auto started, but did exactly the same when I tried to open Control Panel.

There seems to be some correlation between trying to quickly open programmes, files, folders etc and switch between them shortly after the PC has been started. The dump file for the BSOD was VIDEO_TDR_FAILUE (116) again. Memory or PSU affected memory is on my mind.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts

The sensor logs show that the PSU rails are at nominal levels and fairly stable, and the temps look good too. Though don't think this rules out the PSU as potential suspect, given that sometimes a bad PSU shows up by creating spontaneous fluctuations in voltage that don't end up getting recorded (because it ends up crashing the system).

To make sure that components such as the video card are not intervening and crashing the system during tests that do not relate to them, you'll want to use the UBCD to do all your hardware tests. Note that Prime95 will be called Mersenne Prime Test and MemtestG80/CL does not exist on the UBCD but there is a GPU test on it under the Peripherals section.

To be honest though, we'll have to wait out till you get the new PSU, nd then start swapping hardware, starting with PSU, then Motherboard, then CPU. Hopefully you have these items still under warranty.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Well, they do say 'nothing changes' and thats how I feel right now! PSU changed, had one crash on a start-up later in the day. Memory changed and still getting stalls and crashes (file attached). So what is the process to use the UBCD and what am I looking for? At this rate I will end up replacing ALL the parts........

Thanks for al of your assistance

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
2,210 Posts

Link to the UBCD is here. You may choose to either burn a disc version of it, or there's also the option of putting it on a flash drive. It's your choice. There's instructions for either case.

As to tests on the UBCD, as mentioned previously, the Mersenne Prime Test (Prime95) for several hours, and there's also that GPU stress test as well. There's also a bunch of other tests for other various pieces of hardware, but it's up to your whether you want to run any of em or not.

Just curious, what did you change the PSU too?

Again, if the tests show up negative for issues, we're dealing with the motherboard for sure.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

VurGnarus, thanks for the info. I will commence some testing tomorrow when I have a little more time.

The PSU I installed a couple of days ago is the Antec Truepower New 750W. If nothing else it has made the case wiring a lot easier to get tidy!

Steve

·
Registered
2,210 Posts

Remember to stress the importance of a reliable PSU, as it's the most integral part for a system's health and stability. We have a good solid article here explaining what to especially look for in a PSU. Antec itself isn't that bad of a brand, but realize that any PSU - even best brands - has the potential of failing, with cheaper brands far moreso.

Though now that I think about it, I don't believe your PSU is the cause of these things, obviously given that you only replaced it recently when you've been having the BSODs for a good while now. Unless your symptoms have strangely started getting worse after you installed the new PSU, I'd point blame solely on Mobo or CPU.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I have run Prime test and GPU test from the UBCD (had to change part of the registry entry for Prime to get it to start) for around 3.5 hours each with no errors shown.

I suppose now I have to decide which piece of hardware I change next, motherboard, CPU or Graphics Card. At this rate I will have enough spare parts to build another PC. Perhaps thats how to recover my costs, sell the 'second' PC! I can hear my wife now, 'why didn't you buy a ready made computer?'

As I have said before, the system seems more unstable at start up, and has crashed most times, when i have booted up for the first time in a day, and clicked on the icon for 'Admin' (my only profile while testing and not password protected). I just seem to get the BSOD almost instantly. Why would that be? From then on (or possibly after a second BSOD) everything seems to run without too many dramas.

Steve

·
Registered
2,210 Posts

The reason why the system might be more unstable during startup is because there is a lot involved in the Windows startup process. It has to enumerate and initialize all the hardware, it has to setup all drivers and the entire Windows environment from scratch every time. When loading the user profile, that also puts some strain as it sets up your profile environment. Those are instances when a hardware failure can pop up.

I'd say go for the motherboard next. As ugly as it is to replace it, seeing all these problems occur and yet hardware tests show up zilch are commonly evident of motherboard issues, so I would have to consider it your best chance for success. I feel your pain in regards to the hardware swapping, having had done it myself, but it is very difficult, almost impossible, to diagnose exactly what hardware is causing it when it evades every diagnostic procedure aside from the "caveman approach" of chucking stuff out and putting stuff in to see if it works.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I really appreciate all of the time you have taken in trying to help me diagnose the cause of the BSOD's. Forums such as these are truly an example of the power of the web and the generosity of those that contribute.

I will now try to find a suitable Mobo as I think that the M4A87TD/USB3 is no longer available, according to 2 UK suppliers. As always, I will report back.

Steve

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I managed to speak with Asus tech team and after I gave them the symptoms and test results, they agreed that the Mobo seemed to be at fault, so it was duly sent back via the supplier for testing. I have just had an email which states 'No Fault Found' so I am back to the beginning again.

Once I get the board back, is it worth running any more tests or should I change the only remaining components (CPU and GPU) seperately to try to resolve the issue?

Steve

·
Registered
2,210 Posts

I'm not sure personally on the compatibility issues for those. If you got a spare Radeon, by all means try it out. Though the OP thread does mention that him purchasing a new Nvidia card seemed to have worked.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Well, 6 days ago I took out the GTX 460 card and installed a PowerColor HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 graphics card. I used it for a couple of days without any problems, so decided to re-install the SSD (for the OS and other programmes) wipe the HDD and relocate the User profiles to that drive and go through all of the updates (again!!)

Since then, it has all worked seamlessly, no crashes, no stalls and back to the sort of speed I used to enjoy. So, it does seem that the GPU was causing the problem, just like indicated on the Nvidia forum.

Thanks for all the help.

Steve

·
Registered
2,210 Posts

Sounds like a winner. I'm curious why a lot of people are experiencing those problems. I'll keep this for future reference. Thanks. Marked as solved.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.