Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I'm having a few issues with MS access 2010. And this is actually 2 questions.

I'm trying to link 2 fields of a table to 1 field in another table.
In a incident management system. 2 fields consist of Service Type and Priority which in my design should update automatically if i select a certain Service type, for instance a server downage. it should then automatically fill in the corresponding priority(in this case high).

I've mostly given up on the design I stated earlier. And linked the two fields of my other table to a single field in the other using a drop down box method. the only problem now is(and i will include a picture) is that both fields that need to be shown in the field are visible in the drop-down-box but when i select one of the options it merely shows the first field.

I sincerely hope that one of you can help me solve this issue since its for the project I need to finish my internship.

Yours truly,

Ikkileo

Attachments

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Re: MS Acces 2010: cant seem to link fields properly

Hi

As per forum rules we are not allowed to do your "homework" but I will try to help where I can.

What is the "Row Source" of the "ServiceType/Priority" Field of your table.
Instead of Selecting each field separately (Table1.Name, Table1.Surname) try joining them (Table1.Name & " " & Table1.Surname)
I believe that is where your problem lies. But since I have not seen your DB I could be mistaken as there are other ways of implementing this.

Let me know if this works or if you do not understand.
If this does not work maybe attach a screen shot of your table properties and the field properties of the "ServiceType/Priority" field (Especially the Lookup Field Properties)

On a side note, though it is not necessary, it is always easier if you do NOT put spaces or other punctuation marks in your field names. Errors can slip in much easier with these punctuation marks especially when you start to program in VBA and macros.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Hi

As per forum rules we are not allowed to do your "homework" but I will try to help where I can.

What is the "Row Source" of the "ServiceType/Priority" Field of your table.
Instead of Selecting each field separately (Table1.Name, Table1.Surname) try joining them (Table1.Name & " " & Table1.Surname)
I believe that is where your problem lies. But since I have not seen your DB I could be mistaken as there are other ways of implementing this.

Let me know if this works or if you do not understand.
If this does not work maybe attach a screen shot of your table properties and the field properties of the "ServiceType/Priority" field (Especially the Lookup Field Properties)

On a side note, though it is not necessary, it is always easier if you do NOT put spaces or other punctuation marks in your field names. Errors can slip in much easier with these punctuation marks especially when you start to program in VBA and macros.
First of all thank you for your reply,

And How would i go about joining them, I used the lookup wizards and linked them to the table with the data i needed. Since I've neglected the use of Access(due to some unfortunate circumstances that got me in a hospital for the great part of 6 months but anyway) I don't know of any way to join the fields in order for them to both show in the preferred field.

I will add more screenshots to broaden your perspective on the matter.
And again thanks for replying.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,930 Posts

Hi
What You are looking for is:

Properties of your ServiceRequest table
Click "Service Type/Priority" Field
At the bottom (under Field Properties) select the Lookup tab
On the Lookup tab look at the "Row Source" - Edit this query by selecting three dots ...
Change the query to SQL view (Right click -> select SQL View)
Attach the SQL statement

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Hi
What You are looking for is:

Properties of your ServiceRequest table
Click "Service Type/Priority" Field
At the bottom (under Field Properties) select the Lookup tab
On the Lookup tab look at the "Row Source" - Edit this query by selecting three dots ...
Change the query to SQL view (Right click -> select SQL View)
Attach the SQL statement
It Worked!!!!

I'd like to thank you for you help, and apologize for taking up your time.
*i'll be spending the next 15 mins figuring out how to close the thread*

+ a picture of the achieved goal

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.