Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 80GB drive that I have windows and all progs and docs on. I also have a 2.2Gb drive that is not being used.

Can I make use of this drive by putting my page file there? Is this of any benefit if I did?

<--- ignore my system specs - This is a second PC am just setting up

SYSTEM SPECS[/b}
AMD 800MHz
unknown MOBO
128MB of RAM

Based on this how big should my page file be?

I know I should have 512MB of ram but this is just used to back up my main PC files and for a bit of web browsing.

Is there anything else I can do with this drive to improve my system performance?

C

·
0 Posts
Re: Moving Page file

I know XP allows you to move the page file to a different drive in system properties. I hear people recommend that often.. never tried it myself.

Personally I wouldn't make the page file too big, after all when the system is using the page file it's paging to disk and that is certainly slower than system memory.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

but its not going to page to the disk just because it is big is it? It will only use the page file when it runs out of ram - no matter the size!

Is there anything else I can do with this drive to improve my system performance?

C

·
0 Posts

Not exactly... I have over 2GB of ram but mine pages to disk all the time. And my ram is 95% unused.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I'm not saying it won't use the page file - but it won't use more of the page file just because it can - Also I'm not really bothered anyway - The 2GB drive is so small it is useless anyway. I just want to put it to some use.

Any recommendation on the actual size?

·
Registered
6,641 Posts

As you said 128MB of memory is very few for XP, but then I understand there's no much sense in upgrading the memory on an old AMD 800Mhz system you're only using for backups and browsing.

This being said, having the page file on another physical disk than the one holding the system files can indeed improve performances by reducing the read/write heads swapping. Here's what you should do :

Right-click my computer => properties => advanced => settings under performances => advanced => change. This will bring you to where you can cange your page file settings.

Set the page file on your system drive (probably c:) to a custom fixed size of 50-50. You have to leave a small page file on the system drive to prevent some older apps to complain. Then create a 1024-1024 page file on the 2GB drive (fixed size will prevent fragmentation).

Note that a 512MB page file could probably be enough, you can monitor the max memory (RAM + page file) ever used during a session by going in the performances tab in the task manager (press ctlr+alt+del) and looking at the peak value at the bottom left. If it's less than 630 then 512 will be enough, if it's more then go for 1 GB. Also note that XP will want to have some free room on that drive so make sure there's always at least 500MB free. You can deactivate system restore on that drive by right-clicking my computer => system restore => settings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.