Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hello.

When I left click I sometimes have to click the button several times for it to respond. The right click works perfectly - there are no problems with it.
Naturally I tried switching the primary and secondary buttons in the 'Mouse' options, but the problem remains - the left click (right mouse button) is unresponsive, just as the left mouse button was before I switched them (the right click still works perfectly with the left mouse button).

This same problem persists with several different mouses, so I am sure the problem isn't the mouse itself.

I recently formatted and reinstalled Windows XP Media Center and I'm not sure if that is where the problem began.

My PS/2 Compatible Mouse driver details reads: "File version 5.1.2600.2180(xpsp_sp2.rtm.040803-2158"

What steps do you recommend me taking? Are there any additional information you would like to have?
Please write some simple instructions when asking for information which might be hard to find, to avoid the cause for me to post "how" and having to wait for a delayed period of time to find out how to provide you with the information you require.

Thank you very much.

Sorry for posting a reply so soon, but I am not able to find any way to edit my previous post.

It should be noted that I have also tried using a graphics tablet instead of a mouse and it works perfectly. So, again, the problem only affects mouses and seems to be software related. I have installed the latest update for my mouse driver but the problem remains.

The problem is most visible when I try to drag a window or otherwise have to hold the button pressed for a period of time. The signal gets interrupted and only works for very brief periods of time.

The left mouse button also sometimes acts as a double click.

Thank you again, and again sorry for the double post.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Mouse Left Click Is Unresponsive

have you tried a usb mouse
Hello Dai. I have tried USB and PS/2 mouses and the result is the same.

The mouses don't seem to be the problem, but rather the software since, as I have explained, the problem is the same even when switching the primary and secondary buttons.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Something isn't 'right' then - try an SFC /scannow .
I ran sfc /scannow and the program asked for my XP Professional CD. After inserting the CD (the same as I installed my OS with) it began scanning.
After sfc had scanned all protected files it asked me to insert my XP Professional CD2 so that it could scan the dllcache. I only have one CD for my OS, so the scan could not be completed.

Is there a workaround for the dllcache issue?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I have tried the microsoft solution but now I get a messenge asking me for my XP Professional SP3 CD when running sfc.
I have also tried another workaround involving editing registry files, but the result is the same.
Should I have to download a virtual copy of the XP professional SP3 CD (or at least the I386 folder)?

·
Registered
40,770 Posts

When you run SFC and get the message please put in the XP CD when you already have it in, it just is telling you that the file you are copying is older then the one on your computer, just press Enter and it will skip this file and the scan will continue. You may have to do this several times.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

When you run SFC and get the message please put in the XP CD when you already have it in, it just is telling you that the file you are copying is older then the one on your computer, just press Enter and it will skip this file and the scan will continue. You may have to do this several times.
The messenge that I get reads:
"Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache.
Insert your Windows XP Professional CD2 now.
"
The options I get are the following: "Retry" "More information" and "Cancel"

Clicking retry (the default option) does nothing more than reopening the same window again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.