Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have this popup at startup and I don't know how to get rid of it.

The popup is in attachments.

Attachments

·
Biker/Geek
1,088 Posts
Re: Missing File... What to do?

It's in the TEMP directory, so I would think it should be temporary anyway...... odd.

What it is is that some program you have set to start up with Windows calls for the file and is not finding it. One thing you could do to narrow it down would be to set all of your programs to refrain from starting up with windows and then start windows and see what happens. If you don't get the error again, try adding the programs back one at a time (restart between each to test for the error) and then troubleshoot the program that ends up giving you the error. Reinstalling that program will probably solve the problem.

Go to Start>All Programs>Administrative Tools>System Configuration and choose the "Startup" tab to configure which programs start with windows. Just uncheck the boxes for all of the programs, aside from any programs that look like they are absolutely necessary - such as drivers (drivers aren't listed, but mine shows several NVIDIA services - including a 'driver helper' program...), or ones labeled Microsoft Windows Operating System (My system lists 2 of these...) You may want to remember to start up your anti-virus and make sure it starts up with windows before you're done...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I didn't understand 1thing you just said, but I don't think it's a program because everything works fine.

·
Registered
49 Posts

Yes good idea Dusten04 but I left my Vista CD at a repair shop by mistake. They went out of biz and I now don`t have one. I presume there is no way of replacing it apart from buying a new one?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

my laptop didn't come with a vista cd. If I wanted to reinstall vista it would reinstall my whole computer to the way I bought it and I have no way to backup my memory. And no way I'm gonna go through days downloading all my stuff back

·
Registered
49 Posts

Hang on a mo`. Could be in my senior years my memories got more faults than my PC. Is a Vista Home Addition supplied installed but you don`t get the CD with it? I just assumed 3yrs ago when I had a tech. job done (on the PC) that I must not have got the CD back. I`ve got an old XP CD but maybe I never had a Vista one to start with and I`m like Lildragon555.

·
Biker/Geek
1,088 Posts

Use this: CCleaner After installing, open the program and make sure that the Temporary Files box under System is checked, and then click Run Cleaner. Then reboot and see if you still have the problem.

·
Registered
49 Posts

I just installed and ran CCleaner and it looks like it has removed the annoying pop up Error messages so thank you Rousseau but this cleans out everything. I currently use "Advanced Window Care," "Search and Destroy", "Disk Cleanup", "Norton" and they all occasionally pick up bits and pieces and point out the danger or otherwise on the removal of them. CCleaner, Wow! comes up with pages of entries from IE. Registry and other general stuff. There is no indication of the effect of having these present or the danger of their removal. I pressed remove and about 800 vanished. Does`nt seem to have created any problems doing this but I think CCleaner should be used with care.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.