Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently restored windows back to default settings I have the recovery cd and drivers. But but under device manager I get 2 items that say I'm missing multimedia controller driver and pci input driver so as a result I get no sound. I have updated all the updates and and have the lastest service pack 3 how do I resolve this issue it was working before I did the restore. I have a dell deminsion 2400 if someone can plz help its been quite frustrating.

· TSF - Enthusiast
15,333 Posts
Re: missing drivers

Have you installed the Audio driver?

Post the hardware id for the missing devices.

Open the Device Manager
Right Click on the Device in question
Properties
Details Tab

In XP the VEN_ #### and DEV_ #### is located under Device Instance ID
In Vista and Win7 the VEN_ #### and DEV_#### is located under Hardware ID

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

oh i see i already tried that but it did not work, could it be the pci audio card may be faulty, alternatively can i install a new audio pci card.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is the same computer I had two hard drives on the computer and when i did the restore well now I only see one hard drive on there I went to the BIOS and i see both hard drives and I set it for auto detect but somehow it won't detect it anymore

· Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
44,986 Posts

For your sound driver, are you using the Dell Onboard Sound (a part of the motherboard) or do you have a separate Sound Expansion card installed? If you are using the onboard sound, you can find the driver at Dell's site. Just type in your service tag# or your make and model #.
If it is a card, then pull the card and take a look at the manufacturer, or follow these suggestions on How To Find Drivers
As for the HDD, as Makinu1uder said, go to Disk Management. If your drive is listed as Unallocated, then the files have been lost and the drive now needs to be formatted.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea i do have a pci sound card if I'm not mistaken it says sound blaster live I did install the driver.for it but it did not work neither did the dell website which was soundmax that did not work

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.