Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying desperately to either completely remove this from my system or prevent it from scanning. It got installed when I wasn't carefully looking through the updates being installed. I'm on Windows XP Home, SP2.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool

That really doesn't have any info on it. Its for an outdated tool, and nothing in the Microsoft KB has ANY information on how to prevent this tool from running. Nasty little bugger... I don't want to just delete the mrt.exe file, but I'm getting close to just doing that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Re: Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool

That really doesn't have any info on it. Its for an outdated tool, and nothing in the Microsoft KB has ANY information on how to prevent this tool from running. Nasty little bugger... I don't want to just delete the mrt.exe file, but I'm getting close to just doing that.
Hi macabe:wave:. The Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool only runs once, the first time you reboot after it installs.

So, if you just reboot your computer, it will run once and never run again, unless you reinstall the new version next month.

All you then need to do is be sure you do not install the new version when it is released again with the next round of Windows Updates.

However, if you really feel the need to remove it, the following information was available in "quizme1220's" link (just click on the "890830" link):

How to remove the Malicious Software Removal Tool.
The Malicious Software Removal Tool does not use an installer. Typically, when you run the Malicious Software Removal Tool, it creates a randomly named temporary directory on the root drive of the computer. This directory contains several files, and it includes the Mrtstub.exe file. Most of the time, this folder is automatically deleted after the tool finishes running or after the next time that you start the computer. However, this folder may not always be automatically deleted. In these cases, you can manually delete this folder, and this has no adverse effect on the computer.

Good luck.:beerchug:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.