Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No data is lost. Basically need someway of knowing what was lost after its gone forever. Various virus scanners only list filenames and the directory. I need someway of knowing the file sizes, file extensions, date created/last accessed/modified. I only need this information listed in a .txt file; something I could burn to cd, then come back to later. If I need it.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Re: Mechanical HDD Failure Intimate - Need Help w/Backing up

Hi Disconnecting and welcome to TSF !

You can use the dir command at a command prompt. Type dir /? to get a lit of the available switches. End the command with > x:\files.txt to write the output to a file named files.txt on the x drive. If your drive is failing make sure you write the list on another physical drive (an usb thumb drive for instance, depending on how many files you have the resulting lists should be smaller than 100MB)

Basically :
start => run => cmd
cd\
dir /S > x:\files.txt
=> basic list with names, paths, sizes and creation dates

If you want the last accessed and last writen dates then type
dir /S /TA > x:\filesaccessed.txt
dir /S /TW > x:\fileswriten.txt

The hidden files won't show by default, you'll need to make separate lists for them :
dir /S /AH > x:\hidden.txt
dir /S /AH /TA > x:\hiddenaccessed.txt
dir /S /AH /TW > x:\hiddenwritten.txt

I'd get some external drive asap to dump the whole content of the drive and salvage all you can.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Re: Mechanical HDD Failure Intimate - Need Help w/Backing up

That's exactly what I was looking for. As a, "Just in case." If I lose anything, I can give .txt file to my friends & associates, and ask if they have copies of the missing files. After looking around a bit I found another walkthrough for anyone else that's been reading-
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5035179.html

Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.