Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a machine that is runing windows xp pro, I put in a second harddrive and it was formatted and paritioned as d: , I ran the windows install set everything up. When I removed the primary drive and tried to boot off the new install it will not let me. Any help would be great! could i just run a windows repair?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Re: Make Secondary harddrive bootable

hi rlaserra , first make your second hardisk master, then start your pc hopefully your problem will be solved automatically, if stll have a problem then boot your system with os cd press r for recovery console then browse for ntldr file in i386 directory and copy it to the partition were you install os.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts

Make the drive that you installed windows on (the D:\ Drive) a master and put the IDE cable end connector on it and insert the windows xp install disk in the drive and do a repair-install of windows and when done it should work. Next time you want to install a new OS just do as previous except for doing a clean install and this will save you time.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

it dident work, so I just did a re-install. I have untill 4 oclock so I have to get busy thanks guys!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

vladimirb I could have typed that in the recovery console? once I reached the dos prompt it brought me to a windows folder.... I wish I would have seen that, because im sure that would have worked, but I met my deadline and everything is working out well. Thanks for the help and quick response!!! SOLVED!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Stupid question. Why didn't you just remove the original drive all together, pop in the new one as Master and THEN install Windows? Would've saved ya this trouble.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah no I have norton ghost for that, What I was trying to do by mistake I installed XP on the D: drive, i had the C: still plugged in of course when I went to remove the C: the D: would not boot due to the boot.ini not being correct vladimirb hit the nail on the head as well as thor. Thanks guys

·
Registered
118 Posts
I understood that. What I'm saying is you should have either yanked out the old drive or set that as the slave and installed windows right on the new drive in the master position. Would've saved ya some trouble.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.