Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple questions I need help with. I have a Windows XP Pro ISO file that I downloaded. If you burn an ISO file on a CD, does that automatically make it bootable? Or do you need to make the disk bootable while you burn the ISO file to disk?

Another question is, I do not have the option in my BIOS to point it to boot from the CD Rom. I updated the BIOS today from HP and it is still not there as an option, there is only Mutlibay, Harddrive and Network. Where can I go to get that option or boot from a CD?

Basically what I am trying to do is reinstall Windows with a copy of XP that I downloaded from my schools website that came in the form of an ISO file.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re: Make a bootable CD?

Im not sure but it sounds like even tho its from a school site its still not legal. i dont know any school that hands out isos of OS"s to just anyone :/

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

It's an MSDN Academic site. We get some MS software for free that is part of the tuition cost for attending. I am in the Master's program for IT. It is legit as long as we agree that we are using the software for academic purposes.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts

Links
How To Burn An ISO Image To A Bootable CD
CDBurnerXP (freeware)

You will need to change the boot order in BIOS to 'CD first'. If you don't have this option, it might already be set to CD or floppy first by default, so you'll be ok. If it doesn't work, please post the make/model of your motherboard and the BIOS version number. You can get this info from BIOS or the Mainboard tab in CPU-Z.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks for your help. I used Express Burn to burn the ISO file. When I booted the laptop, it automatically ran from CD, even though it was not listed in the BIOS. My laptop is finally working again after the reinstall :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.