Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having problems with an error message...so i backed up my files, and proceeded to do a system recovery...hoping this would solve the problem. well...it didn't....so i was ok with it and inserted my flash drive to replace all the files i backed up....and they were gone!!! i must have not done it correctly....is there anyway to recover the files i lost?? i lost everything...pics, school work, and other very valuable documents. i am thinking they are somewhere still in this computer because when i did a system restore, two of the pics i used as user account pictures came up and also a screen saver that i had downloaded before the recovery. if anyone knows what i can do....PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!! I have to replace my hard drive (that's why i was getting the error message0....so once i do this...i know there is no hope. :sigh:

·
Manager, TSF Articles
38,357 Posts
Re: Lost files after system recovery....HELP!!!

Hi and welcome to TSF.
When you say a system recovery, do you mean a system restore? If so, your files shouldn't have been lost. Do you know the names of any of your files? If so, try using the Search facility to find out where they are.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Yes, I do mean a system restore...sorry. I tried using the search engine...but i did not pull anything up. When I mean system restore...I mean making it brand new like it just came out of the box...but it was unusual to see the pics and screensaver that i had previously to the restore...so i still have hope that they are somewhere. just gotta do some work to find them. anything else you can suggest???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

well i have a compaq presario c300 series laptop, using windows xp....i went to START...ALL PROGRAMS....SYSTEM RECOVERY....PC RECOVERY and followed the instructions....it did a complete system restore...i am just really upset that i lost all that hard work that i still need and all those pictures. i did a search and there is nothing that comes up with what i lost. i don't know what to do!

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts

anything you had installed after the restore point will have to be reinstalled
we posted at the same time
if you did a system recovery then they are gone
some of the newer systems now offer a non destructive recovery option which leaves everything intact

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

and how do i know if i have a non destructive recovery option....or does that just happen when you do restore?

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts

when you do the restore i think it comes up and offer both options to choose from if you have it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

oh ok....thank you both for all your help. i guess i just have to deal with the fact that i lost everything. oh well...life will go on. God bless you both.

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts

i recently bought a lenovo and it did not have the non destructive recovery
i downloaded some updates a couple of days ago and one was to add the non destructive choice
it's not much use to me as i wiped the drive when i got it and installed a different operating system on it
but it suprised me that they could add the feature by an update check to see if there are any updates for your it would be handy to have for the future

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.