Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a fair amount of research, and decided that the "Acer AM3450-UR30P PT.SHDP2.001" model of computer was an affordable and effective base computer for me to build on to create an adequate gaming PC. It has an appropriate amount of harddrive space (1 TB) and an excellent processor (AMD Quad-Core FX-4100 3.6GHz).

My problem is that it only has a 300W power supply. My question is this: What power supply upgrade could I add to this machine that will be affordable (under $100), and around 500W?

Also, I have an extra "Radeon HD 6750" laying around that I would want to replace the "ATI Radeon HD 4250 Graphics" that are already in the computer, can I do that, and what PSU power supply would I need? (say's over 450W on the box)

Long story short: I'm looking for an affordable PSU that is about 500w that is compatible with "Acer AM3450-UR30P PT.SHDP2.001", and will allow me to replace the default video card with the "Radeon HD 6750" that I have laying around.

Thanks in advance! (I'm new to these forums, so if there's anything I'm missing or anything I'm doing wrong, just let me know)

I decided "Building" was the best subforum because I'm sort of "building" on a premade computer. Sorry if it's not the correct place.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Re: Looking For a Compatible PSU Upgrade

Thanks for the suggestion. Do I have to do anything special to fit that PSU into my computer, or do I just unscrew the other one out and screw this one in with no problem?

Also, 550W cross-fire ready seems a little bit overkill, is there any PSU that is slightly more affordable for 450W-500W, preferably 500W? (or is 550W necessary for my setup?)

Again, I really appreciate your suggestion, and will most likely get that PSU unless a more attractive offer comes up. Thanks!

·
Administrator, Team Manager, Gaming, Team Manager,
54,076 Posts

The forum recommendation is for a 550w minimum for any PCIe card, overall once you get below that PSU you save a couple bucks up front but usually end up with something that needs replaced down the road, or even cheaper fails and takes other components with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

The forum recommendation is for a 550w minimum for any PCIe card, overall once you get below that PSU you save a couple bucks up front but usually end up with something that needs replaced down the road, or even cheaper fails and takes other components with it.
Alright, I'll go with that PSU then. Do you know if the computer is able to support the "PCIe card" you speak of? I'm not very hardware knowledgeable (more of a software and OS guru; all of this is new to me), so I apologize for that. I don't know where to look. (on the motherboard etc.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.