Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, simply put , i had 4 partitions existing on my hard drive . System partition , Drive C: partition , HP Recovery partition , and a SYSTEM TOOLS partition .

My goal is to shrink drive C: partition in order to allow me to dual boot windows and zorin OS

I was able to successfully shrink the drive C: partition creating 350 GB of unallocated space . The way i shrank the partition was using MiniTool Partitioning wizard . Then through mini tool i tried creating a partition in the unallocated space . i would get an error "Cant create partition , no free MBR slots" so i googled .

I then used Disk Manager found in administrator tools to successfully create the partition in the unallocated space . I was able to access the partition in windows explorer and it was labeled drive D:

The thing which confused me was in minitool partitioning wizard it didnt show all my partitions but ONE partitioned labeled "Dynamic"

So i shut down and rebooted with my flash drive in and was able to again reformat the partition running zorin OS live and successfully installed zorin OS to said partition .

HOWEVER , when i rebooted i did not get an OS selection screen in BIOS it just went straight to "Booting windows" and then a blue screen with a bunch of writing on it (I usually get this when a hardware change has occured) and then rebooted and went to "Start windows normally" or "Windows Startup repair" which both do not boot .

I have a lot of information for which i would LOVE to keep and not reformat/repartition ENTIRE HDD . Please help me fix my error . i should have kept reading the webpage cause i then read that you are only able to have 4 partitions on a single HDD in windows and the only way to make more FOR WINDOWS was by changing the HDD to a dynamic Hard drive and extending the memory which is what i did . I should have combined my Drive C: partition with the SYSTEM partition THEN shrank the drive C: partition .. I have a feeling changing the partition in Zorin OS is whats causing the blue screen / reboots . Again i would love to fix this without losing my data .. i couldnt afford it :( stupid me and not reading

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
Re: [Long thread, serious help only please]Cant boot windows after repartitioning

I don't know if you'd be able to fix the system to get it to boot properly again but you should be able to boot the system with a "Linux live" CD/DVD and get all of your data copied to a safe location. I wouldn't recommend doing anything else until the data is safe backed up (possibly to two locations)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: [Long thread, serious help only please]Cant boot windows after repartitioning

I don't know if you'd be able to fix the system to get it to boot properly again but you should be able to boot the system with a "Linux live" CD/DVD and get all of your data copied to a safe location. I wouldn't recommend doing anything else until the data is safe backed up (possibly to two locations)
Hmm thats what i thought i had to do . You dont think there is any way i can repair windows and have it boot again ? well i guess i start backing up , over 300 gigs of data -.- thanks for your input !

·
Moderator - Networking
1,783 Posts
What's the stop error you get from windows? My first thought is that the boot files are now corrupt due to playing with the partitions. You could try repairing the boot record.

Boot to the repair your computer screen and toto the command prompt and type: bootrec.exe /rebuild

See if that helps.

·
TSF Enthusiast
1,292 Posts

Hi-

The "Dynamic" is because it is a Logical partition. For reasons i cant remember why, you are limited to four partitions, however, to get around that you can create a "Logical" Partition which then consists of as many sub-partitions as your heart desires. (Note that most OSes can not be run from within a logical partition, they have to be in a "Primary Partition")

Basically, what i believe happened is that in order to make a space for a partition, it had to delete one of the four. I do need to know the current standing of the partitions, so hopefully you can do that in the Linux live CD.

Regards,

Mark

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

What's the stop error you get from windows? My first thought is that the boot files are now corrupt due to playing with the partitions. You could try repairing the boot record.

Boot to the repair your computer screen and toto the command prompt and type: bootrec.exe /rebuild

See if that helps.
i wish i could do that but i cant get past the boot selection screen where windows asks to boot into system recovery or to boot windows normally .

Hi-

The "Dynamic" is because it is a Logical partition. For reasons i cant remember why, you are limited to four partitions, however, to get around that you can create a "Logical" Partition which then consists of as many sub-partitions as your heart desires. (Note that most OSes can not be run from within a logical partition, they have to be in a "Primary Partition")

Basically, what i believe happened is that in order to make a space for a partition, it had to delete one of the four. I do need to know the current standing of the partitions, so hopefully you can do that in the Linux live CD.

Regards,

Mark
Alright im able to run Zorin OS from USB flash drive in live mode .

The partitions i see viewable through disk utility in zorin are as follows :

Unknown 1.0 MB

SYSTEM 209 MB NTFS

"no label" 397 GB NTFS <---- this is the drive c: partition that i can access via Zorin OS live and view my data

Free 353 GB <--- Unallocated space

It looks like it removed my recovoery partition . I do remember when i formatted in Zorin OS it asked if i wanted to format it as "logical" or "primary" i chose primary because i remember reading OS's cant boot from logical and it can only be used as storage . Damn i shoulda merged system with drive C: . fml thanks guys for all your help !

·
TSF Emeritus
16,395 Posts

You are limited to 4 primary partitions. You can have 3 primary partitions and an extended partition [which is not referred to as dynamic. That is a different animal]. In the extended partition you can have multiple logical drives. Logical drives are not bootable per say but you can boot into them.

The OS does not need to be on a primary partition to be bootable unless the partition is system and boot.

Always remember in MS Speak boot partition is where the windows folders are and system is where the boot files are. They can each be in a different partition or both on the same primary partition. In the case of two partitions only the system partition needs to be primary and bootable.

elesbb you want to perform a repair install of windows 7 [referred to as a upgrade] so you can access your data again unless you are just planning on leaching off your data via a cd boot.

In the future you will want to create a image of your entire drive before modifing it. It was a major loss to have lost your hp recovery partition.

Your idea of merging system and c: would have also rendered your OS unbootable which in turn would have required a repair install to be done to correct the boot pointers as well as the registry entries.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

You are limited to 4 primary partitions. You can have 3 primary partitions and an extended partition [which is not referred to as dynamic. That is a different animal]. In the extended partition you can have multiple logical drives. Logical drives are not bootable per say but you can boot into them.

The OS does not need to be on a primary partition to be bootable unless the partition is system and boot.

Always remember in MS Speak boot partition is where the windows folders are and system is where the boot files are. They can each be in a different partition or both on the same primary partition. In the case of two partitions only the system partition needs to be primary and bootable.

elesbb you want to perform a repair install of windows 7 [referred to as a upgrade] so you can access your data again unless you are just planning on leaching off your data via a cd boot.

In the future you will want to create a image of your entire drive before modifing it. It was a major loss to have lost your hp recovery partition.

Your idea of merging system and c: would have also rendered your OS unbootable which in turn would have required a repair install to be done to correct the boot pointers as well as the registry entries.
Awesome some results :D thanks so much !

So when i put windows 7 disk into my drive , i want to select an "upgrade" not a full install correct ? Will my installed programs still be there or will i have to reinstall them ? (not a HUGE problem just wondering)

And yeah my cousin already gave me the lecture of making a back up image using ghost -.- i was even about to make one and i didnt . i know stupid me . i'll try the upgrade from the windows 7 disk hopefully it works ! thanks again !!

·
TSF Emeritus
16,395 Posts

upgrade will keep your files. custom is new and won't. Most likely due to the repartitioning and its affects on drive letter enumeration in the registry you will need to reinstall your apps. Let us know how it goes and GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

upgrade will keep your files. custom is new and won't. Most likely due to the repartitioning and its affects on drive letter enumeration in the registry you will need to reinstall your apps. Let us know how it goes and GOOD LUCK
Ha thanks for the luck ! i'll need it ! And thanks for the help i'll be sure to post an update once i get things rollin

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Alright clicking "Upgrade" from booting the disk it tells me to restart and boot from hard drive and select upgrade . GAH . damnit

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.