Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built a pc last year and i've had many problems. the latest problem came along when i changed pc case and installed a new PSU. When i turned it on all i got was long repeating beeps and the monitor wouldnt turn on. After hundreds reboots, crashing, switching off, restarting it finally booted and worked normally. Ive had it again perhaps once after then and now im getting it again. Ive noticed this happens when i change/remove/add a piece of hardware or just switch the psu off for a while which is odd.

Last night i heard my psu had a slight buzz which has happened before with no problems turning it off at the back, thinking it would disturb my sleep i just switched it off at the back. I got back from school today and switched it on and im stuck with the deeps from hell again. I switch it on, i get the beeps i have to hold the power for 4 seconds to crash it. I can push restart, this leaves me with either the beeps again or no beeps at all with the system still on. I then managed to get it to load up windows, after 2 mins it just froze, couldnt do anything, i had to hold power for 4 seconds again, turned it on again and the beeps were back, tried again, loaded, 2 mins, lockup.

after the repeating process of beeps it loaded to the winfast logo at boot, stopped there, tried again, loaded windows and i took the chance to back some things up. I then ran CHKDSK and that worked. Then i went into hardrive properties and tools and told it to check the disk on the next restart, restarted it, the blue screen with the checking came up. It got to stage 4 at around 30% and the screen went black into a standby mode. Restarted it, Beeps were back...

having looked at the internet for an explanation of these beeps i find that repeating long beeps can mean a memory failure, so i changed the slot my RAM was in and its loaded and not frozen yet but i have a feeling it will again soon and im scared to restart it.

Any assistance would be most appreciated, im really stuck for ideas here and i need to get it sorted.

Thankyou for taking time in reading, Kindest regards, Will

·
Awesom-O 4000
1,241 Posts
Re: long beeps on startup, black screen, lockups

Beep codes vary depending on the BIOS that is installed. Beep codes in general mean either a main componant such as processor, motherboard, ram or video card are defective or not pushed in to the slots completely.

For this issue reat all circuit cards in motherboard. If beeps continue than remove all ram except one card and boot. If the beeps are gone than you can use that ram slot for process of elimination to test each memory module.
If all memory cards work in slot 1 than try one memory stick in each slot while leaving the other slots empty to determine which memory slot is bad.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: long beeps on startup, black screen, lockups

OK well im able to turn it on and off now and its fine, but im guessing it will happen again if i turn the psu off over night. I suppose this issue could be marked as resolved, Thank you for your assistance.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My specs are :

AMD 64x2 2.1ghz
2GB ram
GeForce 8600GT
and the psu is a Hiper 530W only a few months old.

Like i said earlier the pc starts up fine now, its just repeats the same process whenever i unplug it ect. Beeps, Failed startups, try a few hundred times and it works again. Very odd.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.