Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was recently given an HP Pavilion with Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002 SP2 installed on it. It hadn't been used for a long time and was (obviously) out of date. After spending an hour clearing off all the unwanted programs I then created and account and deleted the old owners, problem solved or so I thought. One of the updates went wrong and caused my graphics display to mess up so I used System restore to undo them, this however, somehow brought back the account I had just deleted and this time I forgot to create another account while before deleting the old one, leaving myself unable to do anything but log on as Guest. Is there anyway I can create a new Administrator account? or will I have to go buy a new windows disc and reinstall everything to get my computer back?

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Re: Locked out of Windows XP Media Center Editon

Can you try pressing F8 during boot and logging on in Safe Mode? Then go to Users and see what's up in there? I'm curious about how this can happen so I'll be watching for the results here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Can you try pressing F8 during boot and logging on in Safe Mode? Then go to Users and see what's up in there? I'm curious about how this can happen so I'll be watching for the results here.
I can only log in as "Guest" on safe mode as well but I can access the users, however I cannot create and account, I have searched up and down the web and it seems Microsoft dose not want to help with this problem assuming that the person asking is doing something they ought not to. This happened mostly cause I was unaware the administrator account had been password locked by the previous owner.

·
Global Moderator
42,242 Posts

Boot into Safe Mode and you should have the choice to log into the Built In Administrator account. If they did not set a password for it, then leave it blank. If there is a password, We cannot help you with passwords here either. Hopefully you did not delete the Admin account, as that should be left alone so you can log in if there are any problems with your User Profile to fix it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

They did leave a password but I managed to solve the problem after searching the web a little bit longer, I found a solution that uses Command Prompt and "Sticky Keys". Amazing that what seemed to be one of the most frustrating problems I have had with a computer was solved in literally 3 steps.

·
TSF Enthusiast
908 Posts

They did leave a password but I managed to solve the problem after searching the web a little bit longer, I found a solution that uses Command Prompt and "Sticky Keys". Amazing that what seemed to be one of the most frustrating problems I have had with a computer was solved in literally 3 steps.
That's great news JT. Don't suppose you could drop the link in to where you found it?

And please do remember to mark your thread as solved if you're happy it's sorted. (Obviously after the link as the thread will close!)

Cheers! :beerchug:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

That's great news JT. Don't suppose you could drop the link in to where you found it?
After spending a few hours clicking practically ever link on google I came to this site Howto: Five keystrokes to a Command Prompt from anywhere I know its a "Backdoor" method, but I would rather use this then spend $100 for a new OS and lose everything on my computer. I also know I am keeping guest user dissabled and using a easier pass from now on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.