Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had posted this on someone else's thread, so wanted to start my own thread. I have a Toshiba Satellite A35 laptop which has worked beautifully for a number of years. Then one day the monitor just went black. It flashes on briefly when I start it up, and I can hook the laptop up to another monitor and then have no problem working with the laptop. If I toggle back and forth between the laptop and the external monitor, I get a brief flash of the screen on my laptop before it goes black again. I have taken the battery out and held the power switch down (didn't work). I have replaced the inverter (didn't work) and the last suggestion was to replace the backlight, which I've now ordered. However, is it possible there are some drivers missing or that were deleted with OS updates (XP)? And if that's a possibility, how would I check?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Laptop monitor is black

With a flashlight I can definitely see the desktop. I've ordered a backlight and will let you know if that solves the problem. Thanks, all, for your help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I have not had much success. I bought a new backlight and hired a computer repair person to replace it, but the light needed to be soldered on and in the process, the little light tube broke. So, I bought a refurbished Satellite A35 screen which was supposedly in good working condition. I hooked that up, but no success. The screen is still black. I can use an external monitor with no problem. If I toggle back and forth between the two screens, my laptop screen flashes in color real quickly and I can see that the screen is the same as the external monitor screen, but then it goes black again. If I shine a flashlight on my black screen, I can see the very faint print on the screen. I've replaced the inverter with a new inverter but that doesn't work either. Any suggestions? I'd like to be able to use my laptop screen.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

When I first press the on button, I get a really quick Toshiba flash across the screen in color. It lasts less than a second and then the screen goes black. If I try and get into the BIOS at startup, once the Toshiba flash disappears, I can't seen anything else without using an external monitor. The screen seems to be working, but it just won't stay lit.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts

Hello LUFINI

As TriggerFinger has said "Very strange" there are only a couple of faults that can cause this. So we will eliminate the LCD screen as you can faintly see your desktop on it. So....

1. You need to check the voltage to the inverter (you need a multimeter with AC and DC voltage ranges up to 1000 Volts), should be about your laptop dc supply around 12 to 20 volts if you aint getting this, the supply cable could be open circuit from mobo to inverter. The other side (output to backlight) is high voltage AC from 500 to 900 volts "BIG CAUTION"!!! DO NOT TOUCH WITH FINGERS!!!!
2. If you have the dc voltage and you know the inverter is giving an output (aprox 500 to 1000V) and lcd backlight is good then could be a bad cable from inverter to lcd backlight tube.

We will assume inverter and backlight are ok and voltages for inverter input and output are ok. Using a multimeter on ohms check the continuity of the wires from inverter to backlight.

If you are not confident to do the above, take it to your "computer repair person" and get them to check the voltages and cable continuity.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thanks. I'll need to get someone to help me on this. I'm not getting much in the way of readings off my multimeter and getting to the backlight is problematic because it means taking the screen entirely apart. I'll let you know what happens.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I had someone else help me on this. We tested the voltage from the end of the inverter that goes to the light and were not able to get any reading, although it is difficult getting contact from the tiny openings we were dealing with here. We tried this on both the original inverter and the brand new inverter and had the same result. We then tested the voltage going into the inverter and saw a reading of 8 DC before it generated a spark that turned off the machine. I have to assume that meant there was power going into the inverter but the inverter might be bad - which is strange since this inverter was bought brand new (supposedly). We also tested the continuity of all the wires and had readings for everything, including at the end of the inverter going to the light. Because the light is buried in the screen, we didn't test the light. So, I've concluded that this may be an inverter problem (although I'm not convinced) and I'm resigning myself to no longer having a portable but staying hooked into an external monitor. I'm not a smiley face person, but I couldn't resist this one. :4-dontkno

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

After all these months I've finally figured out the problem, which was a bad inverter and a bad replacement inverter. I also changed the light, so maybe the light and inverter were bad to start with. At any rate, I now have yet another inverter, which seems to work, and a new light! Thanks for all your help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.