Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I would welcome if someone could help me to double-check if I really fried my sound chip.

Motherboard is P5Q with Realtek HD audio on Windows XP.
It was working fine for more than a year.

Today I noticed one speaker was not working so I re-connected its cable and suddenly touched on end of the cable on the cover of the amplifier and that made a sound. After that none of the speakers were working.

I reinstalled all possible drivers, but now the "enable auto popup dialog, when device has been plugged in" option is not there anymore, the pictures on Audio I/O on Audio Manager does not become white anymore when I connect any jack ... so, is there any way to double-check if I really fried the sound chip ?

Thank you
Marcio

·
Moderator; Hardware
19,889 Posts
Re: Is there a way to double check if I burned my Realtek chip ?

You've already done everything I would try. Unless the MB is still under warranty, you could simply get a sound card.

As you've just learned, NEVER connect/disconnect any cables or hardware while the PC is powered on. The only exception being plug and play devices (ie: USB, firewire, etc.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Re: Is there a way to double check if I burned my Realtek chip ?

Yes and Thanks.

I ended up buying a cheap new sound card ( 5.1 C-Media based card from Genius @ US$ 20,00 ) and I got a pleasure surprise: The sound quality is far better than the one I had embedded on the motherboard (Win7 evaluation copy here).

I can control more things now ( for example, the volume of each speaker from -96 to +12 db) and a feature for the sub-woofer is making it now really work.

If I knew that before, I had acquired this card since the beginning.

Lessons learned:
(1) Always buy an independent sound car.
(2) a cheap one will do a very good job - unless I was lucky about this one.
(3) NEVER connect/disconnect any cables or hardware while the PC is powered on ... ;-)

Marcio

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.