Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the most annoying problem with my other computer for the last two weeks or so. The computer will go into sleep mode for no reason that I can understand. I am only assuming that its sleep mode that it is going into though, if that is what the little yellow light signifies. I have the computer set so as to never go into sleep mode. I have gone back and looked. It is still set to never go into sleep mode, hibernate, stand-by, whichever you chose to call it.

The computer might run for ten minutes, an hour or ten hours just as normal as you please, then BAM!, right out of the blue it will shut everything down including the monitor. I will then glance down to the tower, and the green power light will be gone and replaced by the yellow. That is when I will mumble a few choice phrases that has taken me 55 years to get just right, I will not repeat them here, and then unplug the nasty little best from the wall. Sometimes you can hold the switch down and the light will go out. Most times not. Sometimes you can shut it down and before it completes the shut-down routine it will jump into sleep mode.

The only change to the computer is that I have stripped it down and cleaned it. This is something I have down for family and friends many times. When I clean one, I strip it down to the bear case and clean all parts with a fine hair paintbrush and a vacuum. I have cleaned up about thirty computers. I have never had this trouble before. I have done both towers and laptops. So, I suppose you can understand why I am now scratching my head and questioning the PSU. Both of the little fans are running their little hearts out, nor are there any lose connections. The computer will function properly in all respects for an unspecified amount of time. And then, it will just not … anything.

The computer is a 2001 Gateway.
Microsoft XP.
Intel (El Paso) Motherboard 1.5 GHz
160-Watt Power Supply ( think it was made by Norton.)

The computer has never been upgraded to anything, in any way.

I sure would appreciate some help with this one folks, before my hair turns gray. O.K., the gray was coming in anyway. … Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Is it a Gremlin, or is it my PSU

Underclocker … I have a 550 watt PSU ordered. UPS should drop it off Tuesday, 5/27/08. I will install that bad boy and let you know what the results were.

My wife normally uses that computer, and so I am hoping that this will fix her right. I would hate to have to move my favorite pillow to the couch in my den.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Is it a Gremlin, or is it my PSU

It seems that the new PSU has turned the trick for the computer. It has now been a sweet little thing for three days. I guess the Gremlin has moved on to greener pastures. No sleeping on the dreaded couch after all.

Thanks for the input folks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.