Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I try and open internet explorer I get 2 different messages, depending where I try to open it from.

Windows cannot find ‘(null)’. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the start button, and then click Search.

or

Windows cannot find 'c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe'. Make
sure you typed the name correctly, and try again. To search for a file,
click the start button, and then click search.

I have already uninstalled and reinstalled internet explorer 7 and still get the same messages

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Re: Internet Explorer will not open

From where are you trying to open it?

Does IE 6 work ok when you revert back?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I'm trying to open from the desktop, the program folder, and the quick link. When I removed internet explorer 7, I got the same error message.

I ran the McAfee Virus scan and PC Tools Spyware Doctor to remove any bugs

·
15,478 Posts

Run the System File Checker

Go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:

sfc /scannow ( sfc if not reconized) (Note that there is a space between sfc and /scannow)

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.
In all likelihood you will be prompted to insert the Windows XP CD.

You may want/need to How to Slipstream Service Pack 3 into Windows XP

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I still get the messages. It never asked for the Cd. I'm gonna try to repair the system from my xp cd.
Thanks for your help with this. I am also gonna to keep trying your suggestions because I might have done them wrong

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

My badd. That makes sense.
Still have the same problems. I must not be doing something right, but I will keep trying.

·
15,478 Posts

Don't think its your fault, yet. :grin:
You cannot run SFC without a cd. If you don't have a cd available there is no point in continuing unless you have the files available on your hard drive and have changed the location of the XP installation files in the registry. If you do have the files copied to the hard drive, the default install location may be modified using the registry edit shown below.

[Start] [Run] [Regedit]
Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup
Modify/Create the Value Data Type(s) and Value Name(s) as detailed below.
Data Type: REG_SZ (String Value) // Value Name: SourcePath
Setting for Value Data: [Set using the path to the installation files, i.e. G:\WXPCCP_EN]
Exit Registry and Reboot.

Is IE located in the Start Menu/All Programs? Does it ope from there?
Did the security programs find any bugs? Do you have an anti-virus installed? Is it McAfee?
Is this the only issue your having?

·
Registered
2 Posts

i am having the same problem. i was advised that it is a virus and what you need to do is uninstall internet explorer and reinstall it. my problem is finding out where to get internet explorer 7 so i can download it and install it on my other computer

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I have Mcafee
PC Tools Spyware Doctor with Anti Virus (anti virus is not on), and Spybot.
My system is clean.

My XP cd has not been in the drive will I did the SFC, so I will correct that error.

Internet Explorer is in the Start Menu, and it doesn't open from there. I get the "cannot find null"

Thank U for your help and patience

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

U bringing up my virus protection got me to thinking. The last time I had trouble with me internet it was becuase of mcafee. so I repaired the installation and got internet explorer 8 beta, and everything is fine now.

Thank U for your expertice and patience. :rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.