Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I am trying to help my poor old mom get online. She has on old dell deminsion 4600. It is slow and old but normally the internet will at least work. I can use windows xp that is on her computer but explorer will not run. When i attempt to open it trys to open the just goes back to the desk top or it will give an error message that says sorrry enternet explorer has incountered a problem and must close. I have run the anti virus/spyware it says no threats, defraged c drive, unplugged the dsl for a few min and reset computer......NOTHING!

CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP??
:4-dontkno

·
Registered
43 Posts
Re: Internet Explorer will not open! Help?

Does it give any more info about the error? If not, Click Start -> run, type in eventvwr and press enter. Click on Windows Logs -> Application and there should be a red one that pertains to iexplore.exe What does the event log say about the error?

·
Registered
17 Posts

Maybe you might just have to reinstall everything and start from new. Its not that hard, it only takes a couple of hours.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

ok thanks let me give that a try i will brb. shane.
when i did that i clicked on apps and there was 61 events. the red error ones with an x in them did not say anything about ie says application error or application hang

·
Registered
43 Posts

Open Task manager, make sure there are no iexplore.exe processes running, then try once more. Then try downloading firefox or chrome. You may have to use another machine if you can't get in on that one, see if they work. That would also clear up whether or not there is a deeper underlying problem too. You could reinstall, but let's make that a last resort hey?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

ok let me try again. give me 3 min.So i couldnt seem to find task manager. I even typed it in search and the computer couldnt find it, so i ran across a system restore option in the controll pannel that allowed to select any date to restore to, so i selected december 1st which was a date when at least the computer could get online at. what do u think about this route?
:4-dontkno

·
Registered
43 Posts

If you did that, DON'T TOUCH IT! System restore can't be interrupted, or you'll stuff it up. Task Manager can be found by right-clicking on the taskbar and selecting Task Manager. Moving the mouse should get you out of a screensaver, that is if you didn't start System Restore

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

i did start system restore it has been about 10 mn. ok it at least works again, barley but it can at least access internet now. man i need to just do a whole system wipe out. can anyone direct me on how to do this on xp or maybe provide a link?

·
Registered
43 Posts

You can't do it from within XP itself, you need the disc. It should probably have come with the computer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.