Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hello, sorry for my first post being a tech support question.

im not exactly skilled with computers, but i know enough to keep my computer working.

now in my home i have 1 laptop (my roommates) running windows xp, my cell phone (a G1, android mobile), and my laptop running windows 7.
the laptop is barely 4 days old

originally i had a different laptop, still an Asus, but my wireless card wasnt working very well, i took it in to best buy and they verified it was not working and exchanged me with a new asus laptop. But long story short i had internet problems on that laptop, i could not stay connected to the network, while my roommates laptop, running windows xp, never gets disconnected, my cell phone also never gets disconnected.

however my windows vista laptop would get disconnected often, and it would be extremely difficult to reconnect, sometimes i needed to restart my laptop to reconnect.

so i exchanged it.
this new laptop has the latest drivers, its running windows 7, and its an asus laptop. I have a few problems with the internet but my most common problem is this

after so many tries of pressing troubleshoot it'll finally get through this and say fixed instead of not fixed and i'll be able to access the internet (sometimes only for a few minutes, sometimes longer)

i'm not good enough with computers to know how to fix this, or know expert computer jargon that people seem to spew, however i have searched google for people with similar problems to no avail.
the signal is fine, i just often cannot connect. My roommates laptop can connect just fine, often troubleshooting doesnt work until the 5/6th try
i spent 3 hours this morning resetting my laptop and troubleshooting over and over while i was on the phone with tech support for Asus (whom btw, only made my problems worse, that i had to personally repair)
their resolution? "your still within your 14 days go return it for another asus laptop"
so i respond "if i have to return my 2nd asus laptop, i will not be getting another asus, ever again"
the reason i chose this laptop is because it was supposedly the best that best buy had for gaming.

so my last laptop running windows vista had trouble connecting, my current laptop running windows 7 has trouble connecting, they're both Asus laptops, and i believe their network cards are pretty close to the same, the network card im running is
Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
(not sure if i should include both, i dont really know what the 2nd one is)

my driver is 12.4.1.11 for the intel wifi link

I'm sure i've left out some information you guys need, so if theres anything else i need to include please let me know what it is, and where to find this information?

oh i am on Windows 7 64 bit
my laptop is an Asus G60vx
i tried looking on the support.asus.com to make sure i have the latest driver and it looks like i do

and this is copy and pasted from another section, apparently i posted in the wrong section, sorry about that :x

·
Registered
TSF Emeritus
20,461 Posts
Re: internet connection not working too well

Hello there,

Thanks for the detail info, quite helpful.
Windows 7 has issue on hibernation that leads to network disconnection, maybe this will resolve our issue.

Go to Device Manager -> Network adapter -> double-click your wireless NIC -> Power Management tab -> uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

To get to Windows 7 Device Manager follow this direction:
Click on the Start button and then choose Control Panel.

Click on the System and Security link.

Note: If you're viewing the Large icons or Small icons view of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Simply click on Device Manager and then proceed to Step 4.

In the System and Security window, click on the Device Manager link located under the System heading.

Another thing: I would check the Power Management settings under Control Panel and make sure you disable the Hibernation mode.

Pls. update with results.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

wouldnt it be easier to right click on my computer and hit manage to go to device manager? o_O
well thats what i did, lemme know if i did something wrong.

in any case, when the internet goes out, i've so far been plugged into the wall, so im not sure if that would work, however i did as you said, and i'll let you know if the internet goes out again. Thanks for the help :)

------

not 10 minutes later it goes out again >_<
it took about 20 minutes to reconnect this time, thats quicker than usual though

i just keep clicking on my wireless connection and troubleshoot connections until it works, sometimes that takes a couple hours :(

anyways one thing i have noticed that was the same problem on my last laptop is that i could leave it online downloading something all night (my last laptop would occasionally disconnect, but this current one stays connected just fine) and on both laptops i would come back, i could load 2/3 web pages online, then the internet will go out. Often if i reset my laptop, i cannot reconnect for awhile. So i just close it and put it in sleep mode instead since it seems to stay connected when i do that (though it usually goes out after 5-10 minutes of browsing the web/checking email, etc)

so im 95% sure that the internet going out is responding to me using it, cause if i leave it on it only goes out if i try to do something on it.
also, those times it goes out, my cell phone and roommates laptop are still connected to the wireless network, so i know its my laptop thats the problem and not the router.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

sorry for the double post, it won't let me edit my last post.

in any case, im beyond irritated now, i can no longer hold a connection for even ten minutes at the moment, and takes me 20-30 minutes to reconnect.
im trying to download some files that i lost when i did a system restore

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

So I've spent the past 1 1/2 hours trying to log in. I need internet for my job and my roommates....busy to say the least.
I'm beyond irritated to the point where I'm tempted to return this laptop and never get another asus brand, if it is asus that is the problem...

I've troubleshooted atleast 50 times, I've restarted my laptop, I can't get in at all i wrote this with my cell phone, and finally after another 10 tries it reconnected.

probably will only stay connected for 10 minutes though, its been worse today than the past 5 days

·
Registered
TSF Emeritus
20,461 Posts

If it will make it better for you maybe you're right that you've spent so much time troubleshooting your issue, best is return the laptop and get a replacement and it shd still under warranty bec. it's only a few days old.

Pls. let me know if you want me to further assist you.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Sorry about that, if at all possible id like to avoid returning it and instead fix the problem I'm facing. Its just making me agitated -_- I really only use it for games and work, and storing information and what not. I haven't been able to test ethernet, though I'm sure that works fine.
I can't find anyone else with my problem online and I don't think it would be my router since my phone and my roommates xp laptop both work. :/
I'm guessing it has something to do with the software as I've heard something about that before

·
Registered
TSF Emeritus
20,461 Posts

Alright..no problem. I'll be more than happy to help you. It will be time consuming and more frustrating as what it is now, but might be worth it at the end with good results.

It's good to troublehoot these things and if it persists again you'll know what to do.

Give me a few and work on some solutions for you.

Alright, here are my recommendations. Do one step at a time, if it works then you may stop, don't need to proceed to the next steps:

First: For wireless connections, try moving either the wireless router/AP or the wireless computer. Even a couple of feet will sometimes make a big difference. Disable any Firewall/Security software such as zonealarm, McAfee etc. as well

Second: Reset TCP/IP http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

Third: Change the channel on the router, I like channels 1, 6, and 11 in the US.

Fourth: Update the firmware of the router to the latest version available on the manufacturer's site.

Fifth: Reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure.

Please post results, let's hope that it will be a good one.:wink:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

I appreciate that, normally i use google for my problems, and i can usually solve them on my own, and I enjoy doing so, as i learn that much more about computers.

However, this is one of those problems i cant seem to find others that replicate the problem :x

so thank you very much for your help.

also i think i will look up the number for windows tech support and see if they can help me where my ASUS companies tech support failed to do anything other than tell me to reformat

-----
update, this has happened twice yesterday, and yesterday several times, i couldnt fix it yesterday so i did a system restore and it went back to the ipconfig problem, so far this problem has been fixed everytime today just by troubleshooting once or twice

i dont think this one is much of an issue, i just added it in case it would be of any help

·
Registered
TSF Emeritus
20,461 Posts

Looking at the print screen that you've provide me, you've made some progress when you did a restore. Can you pls. provide an ipconfig /all info of your computer? Here's how you do it:

Click on Start => Run and type the word cmd on the blank field. From the black screen, type the word ipconfig /all and please post the results here. Right click on the black screen choose Select All and Paste the results here.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

ipconfig said:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Squeezit>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Squeezit-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : ph.cox.net

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : ph.cox.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-22-FA-52-5B-6E
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::1864:aed3:1d1f:657d%13(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.109(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, December 02, 2009 1:52:56 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, December 03, 2009 3:06:30 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 301998842
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-12-40-C0-C4-90-E6-BA-3C-D3-D2

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.105.28.12
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 90-E6-BA-3C-D3-D2
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter isatap.{E36837DA-335C-466C-8C9C-8A586606BC4D}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter isatap.ph.cox.net:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : ph.cox.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e50:18ca:2b10:bbfd:5f82(Pref
erred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::18ca:2b10:bbfd:5f82%14(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
i knew eventually someone would ask me for ipconfig/all so i was prepared :p
next time my internet dies out, should i post my ipconfig results again?
its currently working right now when i posted this

·
Registered
TSF Emeritus
20,461 Posts

You're ipconfig looks good, and just to let you know, you seems to be a lot more calm now. I really appreciate that. You'll be able to concentrate more and we can work better as a Team, you're doin' well also providing me info that I needed. How long you've been online without any disconnections?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

i just got home, but i left my laptop on while i was gone (leaving itunes running so it wouldnt go in sleep mode)
when i dont use the internet it seems to stay connected
or often i can have a file download overnight without it disconnecting (though that didnt work at all this morning)
for all i know, i think it disconnects a lot and reconnects while im away from it, and i believe it did so this morning while i was out.
however when i sit in front of it, it never seems to reconnect on its own, i have to force it.
the reason i think this is because when MSN auto-connects i get this little display message saying a windows device has been connected something about how i should install something to go with it, blah blah. idk what it is, but i ignore it since i dont want to download it (i read through it awhile back and didnt want it, i just dont remember a good description)

sorry about me being ticked, i normally never get upset over anything, but i was a bit overly agitated. Thankfully im not the type to harm my inanimate objects in a fit of rage like a certain roommate of mine =P
but she's a special case

oh and when my internet goes out i always check to see if my phone is connected to the internet, which it is.
Also i check about half the time if my roommates laptop is connected, and hers always is.

i guess i lied earlier, i do know a bit more about computers than i let on, but its the most obvious things that i dont know.
so far the things you've asked me to do i do know, but the minute you expect me to know something i probably won't :p

one last thing, im quoting this from a PM i got from a friend on another forum, this guy's helped me out quite a bit with computer problems, but maybe this will help from what he said
One of my biggest probs with getting laptops to connect was getting the security settings to match the routers.
just an idea, im trying to give you as much info as i can >_<

·
Registered
TSF Emeritus
20,461 Posts

Why don't you leave you computer on for a while, browse around, open up a couple of browsers and see if you'll get disconnected.

I would update your ethernet driver for now, it might help. Do you need a guide on this?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

this is it right?

i think i know how to install it, but im pretty sure installing it will disconnect me from the internet, so i might disappear for a bit depending on if my computer wants to reconnect or not.
i'll try getting on an online game if i can reconnect, as it disconnects often when i do that.
before it does disconnect me, is there anything i should look for while its disconnected?
i assume running ipconfig while the internet is out is pointless?

-----

correct me if im wrong, but isn't the one i have already the updated version?
here's the current driver im running

·
Registered
TSF Emeritus
20,461 Posts

If you're concern that your issue might persists again, you may wait. Just browse around for right now.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)

ah, i added a bit more to my previous post, isn't my ethernet driver already updated?

btw, i really appreciate the help you've given me so far, i'll patiently work this out with you until its fixed <3
thank you very much

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

ok, well it just happened again, you told me to let you know, so i did :x
thankfully it only happened for a couple minutes this time

·
Registered
TSF Emeritus
20,461 Posts

Alright let's continue with the troubleshooting.

Let's do this, go ahead and follow all my troubleshooting guides, but first I would like you to update your wireless ethernet adapter which is the Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN. See if this will work, then if not, go on with the next steps after this.

Keep me posted.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

ok well i tried to install the new driver, instead it said i already had the driver installed (like i said earlier) so i instead just clicked "repair install"
i suppose my next step would be to see if it disconnects again, right?
well im about to head to sleep right now, so that will have to wait until tomorrow im afraid :/
i'll be back with news <3

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.