Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am trying to reformat my pc with a windows xp prof. ultimate edition, but when I inserted my installation cd and I pressed any key to booth from cd it takes very long. Then an error message appear which says "Could not find NTLDR". Please help me how to fix this error. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Re: Installation CD not booting

NTLDR is a boot loader program for Windows XP.

Can you try running the install from a USB cd-rom?

·
Registered
37 Posts

Is the CD damaged?
You might try creating an ISO from original CD and burning it to a new one using ImgBurner but if the CD is badly damaged it might not work.

·
Registered
730 Posts

I've also noticed that particular drives can be 'fussy' about booting from the Windows CD. It's never been an issue for me since I usually have a spare CD or DVD drive handy, but it can be REAL inconvenient if you don't.

·
Premium Member
41,531 Posts

Clean the disc with a dry lint free cloth. If there is a scratch or smudge the disc won't boot. You can copy your Disc to the HDD and create a new boot CD with nLite

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I found out that my drive D is my harddisk drive and drive E is my DVD-RAM
Drive.Is it the cause of this error? How to use my Windows Recovery console
to fix this error? Please help for a clearer step by step procedures if this will
help resolve the problem or is there any alternative? THANKS.

·
Premium Member
41,531 Posts

It doesn't matter if you have a D: Hard Drive or not. You are booting from the CD drive and disc, When you restart your computer with the bootable XP CD in, you should get the message, Press Any Key to Boot From CD, if you are not getting this message then the CD/DVD drive is not set as the First Boot Device in the Bios (Setup) Once you press a key, you are now booting off of the CD and you can then access the Recovery Console or install Windows.
Boot into the Setup (Bios) and look for Boot or Boot order and make sure CD/DVD rom drive is First Boot Device.

·
Premium Member
41,531 Posts

You can mark this thread solved in the Thread Tools at the top.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.