Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all this is my first post here. I have a Dell xps-200 that the hard drive
(sata) crashed in. I picked up a new western digital drive for it. I am trying to reload xp pro back on it, I bought a new copy because I didn't have an
xp cd for the machine (didn't come with it). So my problem is that it goes so far and then says I have no hard drives available. Is SATA different than IDE for drivers, I have reloaded a lot of machines but never one with a SATA drive. Do I need some drivers for this, if so what would I need to get? This is a 250gb drive in the machine before and after. I would
appreciate any help on this, I have to get this thing running again soon for my wife.

Thanks all
Chuck S.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Re: install xp pro on dell xps200

I know you said that you purchased a new windows xp install disk for the Dell but I just thought that I would toss this into the ring becasue you are going to need all of the chipset drivers and such for the motherboard that the windows install disk does not have, of course you can download them thru the Dell site or the mothewrboard manufacturers site and burn them to a CD-R and install from that or for a few bucks like I believe around $20.00 you can get this:

Dell Ordering New Recovery/Installation disks On-line
http://support.dell.com/support/top...ackupcd_form?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=1

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I wanted to say thanks to both of the gentlemen that replied to my
question. I won't be able to get back to the machine till late next
week to try the suggestions though. I'm sure this will correct my
problems. again thanks

Chuck Sayers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Hi guys, well I got some time this afternoon, had to get out of the heat so I went down in the shop. I went into the bios and reset it to plain (ata) instead of the ahci..../ata. Then started the xp install and away it went without a hitch. I then went to the Dell support web site and got the drivers that I needed and loaded them. The machine is running fine now. I want to thank both of you guys for the help.

Chuck sayers

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,257 Posts

Well done!! You can mark this thread solved by clicking on the Thread Tools in your first post

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.