Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I've got an unusual one that I'm hoping someone can help me with.
I have a friend's Acer AX5810. Hardware and software is in original (ex-factory) configuration. Initially when I got it, it wouldn't boot at all citing hdd failure, I rr'd hdd and reconfigured with ACER recovery disks; appeared to work well, I handed it back; a week later, machine freezing on a regular basis, they have asked my to replace with Windows 7 or XP (anything other than Vista). I decided to replace hdd with new clean hdd and install full version, Windows 7 is fine to a point where it starts looking for device drive for CD/DVD drive which is odd. Acer do not appear to have a specific driver for the dvd drive; on trying to install XP, it loads the install files and then presents me with BSOD.
I not concerned which OS I install, but I suspect a hardware fault rather than a software issue; I'm hoping someone may be able to suggest a starting point.
The preference is to install Windows 7. I had considered even looking at something like Linux but I don't think this person would be happy looking a non-Windows based OS.
Best regards.....
qtl { position: absolute; border: 1px solid #cccccc; -moz-border-radius: 5px; opacity: 0.2; line-height: 100%; z-index: 999; direction: ltr; } qtl:hover,qtl.open { opacity: 1; } qtl,qtlbar { height: 22px; } qtlbar { display: block; width: 100%; background-color: #cccccc; cursor: move; } qtlbar img { border: 0; padding: 3px; height: 16px; width: 16px; cursor: pointer; } qtlbar img:hover { background-color: #aaaaff; } qtl>iframe { border: 0; height: 0; width: 0; } qtl.open { height: auto; } qtl.open>iframe { height: 200px; width: 300px; }

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Re: Install Windows 7 to Acer AX5810

So you think that the install process may be failing due to the DVD drive not reading the installation disk correctly, hence it's failing to install?
Have you thought about creating a bootable USB stick with Windows 7 on it?
The image you tried to attach didn't show anything.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks guys; it is set as SATA, this machine doesn't appear to have any facility for IDE. It's running 32 bit. The machine doesn't appear that old though I understand it's well out of any type of warranty.
The DVD drive reads the disks without a problem; I haven't tried a bootable USB at this stage, but I'll certainly look at that.
Whilst I had the Vista hdd in it, I reflashed the BIOS with the same version and used the machine for a number of hours without issue; however, on refitting the new hdd, I had the same problems again trying to load a new OS.
I have the hdd with Vista on it aside, though I don't really want to give the machine back with Vista still on it; and I'm concerned about using a Windows7 upgrade on it; would prefer to give it a clean install with either Windows 7 or XP
Best regards....

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,253 Posts

You can do a "Custom" install of 7 . . it will park the old OS and data in a folder named "windows.old" , which can be deleted once you have salvaged anyfiles you cherish

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

G'day Rich; I'm interested. This is a custom over-install on Vista? Is this not the same as Windows7 upgrade? I was going to suggest that my friend simply purchase the upgrade, but personally I would have preferred to do a clean install. I'm just concerned in case there is a hardware issue. I have plenty of spare cd & dvd drives, but they are all IDE and the hardware has no apparent facility for installing IDE devices.
Could you please tell me more about the custom install?
Best regards.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.