Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was working on a Gateway desktop the other day, and when I ran Key finder, and Speccy. Both gave me a Product Key that differed from the COA on the machine, but matched each other. The client swore to me that noone had ever worked on machine prior to me. So to the question, I had read somewhere that OEM manufacturers can "mask" the correct product key, so it won't show up correctly when using programs like above mentioned. So when I reinstalled the OS, and ran again they came up with the same numbers, but did not match COA on machine...is it possible that gateway made a mistake with the OS reinstallation disc????, or can OEM's mask/or scramble correct Key. Oh, it was win vista Home premium 32 bit.

thanks for any insight,
Scott

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, MVP
34,393 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: incorrect Product Key?

I did use the OEM Reinstallation disc, and all went fine. If it was the original disc that came with system, then why would the two keys be different. I had read somewhere that OEM's were doing the masking (for whatever reason), and was just curious. Somehow I believe these people when they tell me it is the original disc.

Scott

·
Administrator, Team Manager, Gaming, Team Manager,
54,105 Posts
Re: incorrect Product Key?

When the OEM installs it's actually a image written to multiple drives at the same time with a preassigned key that's tied to the bios as long as it's installed on the OEM(Gateway, Dell, HP Etc) with the same bios check sum it won't ask for a key, the keycode on the side will allow you to use a non OEM disk to reinstall if you lost the the reinstall disk.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.