Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a new Gateway GM5420 Desktop Computer to replace my wife's old Micron pc which is showing its age. Her new pc came with Windows Vista. I want to remove Vista and install Windows XP Pro on it.

My Reasons... First and foremost, my wife does not deal well at all with change. She is comfortable and proficient with XP. Life would be so much easier (for her, yes, but more to the point... for me!) if I remove Vista and install XP on her new pc. Also, she uses several programs which work well with XP but are not Vista compatible. I don't want to go through the expense of updating that software if I can avoid doing so.

I haven't hooked up her pc yet, but I downloaded drivers and updates (eleven in all) from the Gateway Support website for the new computer's BIOS, Controller Card, Media Reader, Modem, Motherboard, Network and Sound. However, all but the BIOS update emphasize that they're for Vista only. First: is it possible for me to switch from Vista to XP without major headaches and heartburn? If so, what must I do in order to make the switch but insure that everything will work properly for her?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Re: I want to replace Vista with XP Pro. What should I do?

Some of the new computers made for Vista don't have drivers for XP, because the PC was made for Vista. Unless you can get XP drivers for that specific computer, you may not be able to install XP on that computer and have everything work as it should.

If you can find XP drivers for that PC post back and I'll give you more info, however without the XP Drivers you might experience a lot of problems when installing XP.

BMR777

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,257 Posts

First thing to do is to check the Gateway drivers downloads to be sure you can find XP Drivers for your pc . . not all of the newer systems will have them.

Once you are double dog sure you can find the drivers, enter BIOS ( Setup ) and set the first boot device as CD/ROM.

Put your XP Disc in the drive and disconnect all external peripherals except the monitor, keyboard and mouse, and be sure those are not USB, or wireless.

If you are using an upgrade version installation CD, you'll also need a CD with an older operating system ( Windows 98SE or Windows ME ) to complete the install. Also Make sure you have the 25-digit product code for the Windows XP CD.

Once you set your BIOS to boot first from cd . . when it restarts you will see a black screen with a prompt "Press any key to boot from CD" . . do that and you will be able to delete any or all partitions and recreate one or more, then proceed to formating and installing XP.

That message can pass quickly, so have a finger on the keyboard when you boot. This will delete all data on the drive so be sure you have your important data backed up. The prompt will appear after every reboot, but do not press any key on subsequent reboots. The setup process will continue with no action required from you.

If you do not get that message, and if you have another optical drive, try the XP CD in the other drive.

If you are installing on SATA drive, there is an additional step:

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_install_windows_xp_on_a.htm

This is a site that walks you thru a simulated XP installation:
http://www.echoproject.net/en/software/catalog.html

These are good guides to reinstalling XP . . you might want to print one for reference during the install.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp
http://www.socrtwo.info/cleanxpinstall.htm
http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

You will likely have to reload drivers (Chipset first) and applications, If your XP installation disc does not include SP2, after the installation, you will need to download and install SP-2, while windows is clean. Prior to connecting to the internet be sure you enable the XP firewall.

For help entering BIOS: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

·
Registered
6,641 Posts

You've already been given good advices but make sure you can get back to Vista in the future before you wipe the drive and install XP. You paid for an OEM licence of Vista when you bought the computer so let's not waste it.

Did you get any Vista or recovery CD's with the computer ? If you did then you're set. If not then it probably means that there's some recovery partition on the hard drive. If you wipe the drive you will delete that recovery partition and you will have to buy a new Vista license when you will want to reinstall Vista. There should be some preinstalled program that should allow you to create those recovery CD's. See this guide to learn how to create the discs (hopefully it applies to your model). Alternatively, you can probably get them shipped to you by Gateway for a small fee.

Here are the intel G965 chipset drivers for XP :
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=2529&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Home+Edition&lang=eng&strOSs=45&submit=Go!

If you have trouble finding the proper drivers for XP then follow the "posting system specs" link in my sig to find some tools to identify your hardware. Once you know the manufacturer of your different pieces (TV tuner, card reader, network, ...) you can go on that manufacturer's website to download the drivers for XP.

·
Premium Member
19,585 Posts

I recently bought a new Gateway GM5420 Desktop Computer to replace my wife's old Micron pc which is showing its age. Her new pc came with Windows Vista. I want to remove Vista and install Windows XP Pro on it.

I would suggest doing a dual boot so she can learn vista as she has time. No matter what vista is the future, eventually updates/upgrades will only apply to vista.

As far as xp, check with gateway and see if they have xp available for your specific model, some computer manufacturers will have xp restore disks available on certain models for the asking and a small fee.

If they do not have one available, then you will have to purchase a full retail version of xp pro. You cannot use one that came with another computer because it would be oem and per microsofts eula oem cannot be moved between computers.

as far as switching without headaches, nobody can promise that, however this might be a solution if there are unsurmountable problems while switching.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

First, I want to thank everyone for the help and suggestions.

Next, let me report I've found most of the drivers, but not all, that I'd need to do the switch. However, I've spent enough time on this so I'm ready to throw in the towel and leave Vista on my wife's machine. I guess that's not so great a hardship though since sobeit666 is right about someday having to use Vista anyway. I'll eventually have to become familiar with it... Might as well start now.

Also... Sobeit666, I like your sense of humor (ref: "however this might be a solution if there are unsurmountable problems while switching.")!

Once again, everyone, thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.