Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building my own computer for the first time. I got all my components, made sure I had everything and that they were all compatible, put them all together according to their manuals, and now it won't turn on.

The LED on the motherboard is lit up, and it flashes when I press the power button on the case. I've already checked and double checked that all the connecters from the case to the motherboard are in the right spots, including their positive and negative terminals and ground wired. I made sure that both power ports in my motherboard were attached, and that the fan was plugged in. But when I press the power button neither the case fan nor the processor fan run, and there's no display from my monitor.
I'm out of ideas about how to get this thing working.

Here are the parts I'm using.

Case: Antec VSK 2000
Power: Antec Truepower TP-750 750W
Motherboard: ASUS P5Q SE Plus ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core II Duo E7500 2.93Ghz LGA 775
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 640GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B
Memory: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTS 250 01G-P3-1155-TR Video Card

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong here?

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Re: I put it together, and now it won't turn on.

Did you install standoffs in the case before installing the Mobo?

Remove EVERYTHING from the case.
Set the motherboard on a non conductive surface. The motherboard box is perfect for this. DO NOT PLACE THE MOTHERBOARD ON THE STATIC BAG! It can actually conduct electricity!
Install the CPU and heat sink.
Install 1 stick of RAM.
Install the video card and attach the power supply connection(s) to the card if your card needs it.
Connect the monitor to the video card.
Connect the power supply to the motherboard with both the 24pin main ATX Power connection and the separate 4 or 8 pin power connection.
Connect power to the power supply.
Do NOT connect ANYTHING else. Make sure you have the power connector on the CPU fan connected.
Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard. Consult your motherboard manual to find which two pins connect to your case's power switch. Then touch both pins with a screwdriver to complete the circuit and boot the system.

If all is well, it should power up and you should get a display. Then assemble the parts into the case and try again. If the system now fails to boot, you have a short in the case and need to recheck your motherboard standoffs.

If the system does not boot after this process, then you most likely have a faulty component. You'll need to swap parts, start with the power supply, until you determine what is defective.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Ok, I'll try that. Sounds like that might be the problem, since I don't know what a standoff is. The manual never mentioned something with that name. What do they look like, and what do I do with them?

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts

And be sure you use one for every hole in the mobo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.