Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay first of all I'm a newbie, and I know pretty much nothing about all the technical stuff with computers... so please use layman's terms if you can help me out or else I'm going to be totally lost. Also because of my lack of knowledge I may be a pain the *** to help, but I really need it. So be nice to me and as patient as possible. :smile: Anyway, here's the problem... lately my computer has had a little balloon popping up saying it was "dangerously low on memory" and I found that to be somewhat understandable because I have tons of pictures and music on my computer (they're my passions and basically what I use my computer for, besides using the Internet). So I deleted off a bunch of old files and compressed files and tried to make some more space. That worked for a while, then when I tried to upload some new pictures (which I do about every other day give or take) the message would pop up again. So I'd go through and delete even more stuff. So anyway after doing that for a while, I've now deleted all of my music and all old pictures and old files, old games, and pretty much everything that I know I can delete and the message is still coming up. Well I heard somewhere on a different forum that it could be something to do with the RAM. But they didn't say how to fix it... so I'm wondering if it does sound like a RAM problem and how to fix it, because I need to get pictures uploaded and emailed to people and I'm pretty miserable without my pictures and music on my computer. So please help me! It's very much appreciated!! :smile:

·
Premium Member
77,999 Posts
Re: I need help! *kinda urgent*

how full are your hard drives
it is more likely to be virtual memeory not ram
virtual memory is hard drive space allocated by windows as extra memory

·
Registered
33 Posts

it depends on your operating system (98, xp, or vista) as far as checking virtual memory goes but i think it can be one of 4 things

1. a worm that is eating up your ram by copying itself over and over
2. too little ram for what your computer is doing in the background
3. too little virtual memory (overflow ram)
4. hardrive is too full. the hardrive is what holds all the pictures and stuff...but usually ram is reffered to as "memory" and hardrive space as "storage space"

number one should be easy to fix with a simple antivirus scan. 2 is a major problem that involves taking apart your computer (though if that is the problem then fixing 3 should eliminate the error) 3 is extremely easy to fix if we know your operating system and 4 is relatively easy to fix.

·
Premium Member
77,999 Posts

in my computer right click on your hard drive and choose properties and you will see how much space is used and available

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

Okay thank you so much!!! By the way the operating system is XP. I have a couple of friends who are into computers, one is majoring in IT and the other likes to rebuild computers so I can have one of them take a look and help me out. But you all were a lot of help because now if I ask them to do some work on it for me I'll know what direction to point them in!! I appreciate it a lot. :smile:

Oh yeah, I thought I'd add that I have ran my anti-virus stuff and it took care of a few problems, but this one is still around. If it's problems 3 or 4 would it be so easy that I could take care of it myself? And if so, how? Because I'm not sure when my friends would be able to take care of it, and if I could it myself well that would be great. :grin:

·
Registered
258 Posts

Well, first you have to identify the problem before deciding whether or not you're comfortable with fixing it. Do what Dai says and post your avaliable hard drive space, unless you want to wait for your friends.

·
Registered
33 Posts

cetkat is right. if you click on my computer and then right click on your hardrive (the little box with the "C" in parantheses in the name) (it may call it local disk C). and you click on properties you can see how much space is available and how much is taken. if it is full or almost full then we know that fixing 4 would fix it and 3 would have no effect. if you have plenty of space then 3 might fix it and fixing 4 would have no effect whatsoever. since you ran the antivirus software that pretty much rules out problem 1 which is a really good thing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thank you!! You all have been very helpful and kind. :) I am very grateful. I think one of my friends can help me on Saturday if I don't have to work and will be home.

Okay I just checked the hard drive, and it's completely full. But it doesn't make sense to me because I've deleted off all my pictures, music, and misc. stuff I knew I could get rid of... there were some things I wasn't sure what they were so I didn't know if uninstalling/removing/deleting them would affect the computer. Anyway what should I do now?

·
Premium Member
77,999 Posts

check the bin,if the computers starting ok
turn off system restore and then create a new restore point
defrag
then check your space available

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Okay dai, this is probably a really stupid question... but how do I create a new restore point? I'm not kidding when I say I know squat about the technical side of computers.

·
Premium Member
77,999 Posts

start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore
i have not used xp for about 3yrs best i can remember,it's changed in vista and i don't have access to a xp computer

·
Registered
33 Posts

basically, the restore point is a backdrop in case the defrag messes up. the defrag tells the computer to make room for new stuff in a way. it takes a lot of the space you have left and puts it all together.
once you make a restore point and defrag that should help. however, if things are actually taking up that space then it should simply speed things up a bit and may delay the time till the error shows again. you are right to not delete things you don't know about though. deleting the wrong things can lead to a crashed computer really quickly lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I defragged the other night before I left for church and when I came home all seemed well. I finally had time this morning to try and upload about a 100 pictures and it all worked with no problems. Thanks again so much everyone! If I ever need tech help again I know where to come. :-D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.