Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What I mean is, like right now even as I'm typing, the words will stop appearing for a second/everything will stop, and then continue.. you know what I mean? I'm sorry I can't explain it very well.
Also, when I'm watching videos online, movies/shows etc. they keep freezing, it's really annoying, they freeze and keep going but when they keep going they'll continue much slower..and the picture will freeze but people will keep talking.. I usually end up refreshing the page to get the video to play normally again.

So this only seems to happen when I'm on the internet, when I type, watch videos, play games,..even browse, everything will freeze and then keep going, this happens like every 10 seconds..
I'm not sure what it is, also sometimes when I'm playing games or browsing I will get this error: "A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete." I also just got this when I tried to clear my browsing history..thought maybe it would help..somehow. :/

Also, sometimes when I'm playing games or watching videos the Adobe Flash Player will crash..(I have it updated as well)

But can someone please help me out, so I can fix this, I don't know what to do..I don' think it's a virus or anything, I scan my laptop with Microsoft Security Essentials(the only program I have) and I update all the time, everything is fine.

Can someone please help me out.
I'd really appreciate it.

-Thanks =)

· TSF - Enthusiast
15,333 Posts
Re: I have a problem, whenever I'm on the internet it freezes +++

What make/model laptop?

Whenever you experience the freezing/lag does the hard drive indicator light go solid?

What browser are you using? Have you tried other browsers?

I would start by taking a look at the below article and start with the steps there. (good for general maintenance)

Is your PC running slow…? | | Tech Support Forum

Make sure that the fans and vents are clear of any dust debris

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f108/caring-for-your-notebook-computer-542731.html

· Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

What make/model laptop?

Whenever you experience the freezing/lag does the hard drive indicator light go solid?

What browser are you using? Have you tried other browsers?

I would start by taking a look at the below article and start with the steps there. (good for general maintenance)

Is your PC running slow…? | | Tech Support Forum

Make sure that the fans and vents are clear of any dust debris

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f108/caring-for-your-notebook-computer-542731.html
1. I have a Toshiba Satellite A210-MS6

2. Is that the light that's always supposed to be flashing?
(I have this one that looks like a cylinder) sometimes it kinda
fades and flashes just a tiny bit but then it'll flash normally again,
sometimes it'll flash quicker..slower, maybe it'll go solid for
1 second..but not for too long. I think it's normal. :/

3. I'm using Firefox.

Thank you, I'll take a look at the article.

and yes I always vacuum my laptop in those areas where the fans
and and everywhere I can at least once a week.

· Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,939 Posts

Again wee need laptop make and model but it sounds like dying hard drive to me based on what little we know.

· Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I'm a little stuck, I'm on the "Is your PC running slow?" article.
On the System swap files part, I clicked on the Windows Vista link, and it says
"Specifying Virtual Memory Settings
The best way to do this is by installing the built-in System Monitor applet from the Add/Remove Program component in the Control Panel"

I go to control panel and add/remove programs(mine is programs and features) but I don't see the system monitor applet...or anything like that..
Can someone help me out, and tell me how I can do this.. :/

· Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I'm a little stuck, I'm on the "Is your PC running slow?" article.
On the System swap files part, I clicked on the Windows Vista link, and it says
"Specifying Virtual Memory Settings
The best way to do this is by installing the built-in System Monitor applet from the Add/Remove Program component in the Control Panel"

I go to control panel and add/remove programs(mine is programs and features) but I don't see the system monitor applet...or anything like that..
Can someone help me out, and tell me how I can do this.. :/

Yea..I think I need help on that whole section. "System swap files" I'm not sure how to do that.

· Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Ok, I'm having another small problem, on the step "Device Driver Conflicts Are all your hardware drivers up to date?" where it then asks me to go into Device Manager, I can't seem to do that, I type in device manager into my start button and when I go into it, I then get a pop up that says" MMC will not run with a version of Internet Explorer earlier than Internet Explorer 5.5." and when I click on the x to exit it out or when I click ok, it closes Device Manager..

**I don't even have Internet Explorer, I have Firefox, I did still have it in some old folders, but I got rid of everything today, so there should be no traces left behind of IE.. **

But either way, I can't get into Device Manager, can someone please help me out. I keep getting that pop up.

· Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I'm still having this problem..I'm on the internet, watching a show and it stops and plays, stops and plays.. with my whole internet, even as I'm typing right now..
Can someone please help me out. It's annoying the heck out of me. :(

14,939 Posts

And you still haven't told us what happened when you ran" chkdsk /r" on the hard drive (hard drive errors ) as suggested along with defrag on the drive.

· Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

And you still haven't told us what happened when you ran" chkdsk /r" on the hard drive (hard drive errors ) as suggested along with defrag on the drive.
I did the "Hard disk de-fragging" step, it took a couple hours and then it finished, and nothing happened, I restarted my laptop and moved onto the next step..

· ROG Enthusiast
1,497 Posts

and yes I always vacuum my laptop in those areas where the fans
and and everywhere I can at least once a week.
Please tell me you dont attack your computer with a vacuum... Im sure you know the effects of static on electronic equipment :facepalm:.

Anyway. I cant really suggest anything else apart from what has been posted Although if you haven't already. Make sure to run a disk cleanup/Defrag.

Also we need to know what happened when you ran "chkdsk /r" Its not the same as a defrag. Its different and may fix/show us your problem(s).

· Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I think "chkdsk /r" is now the most important next step.
Ok, I just finished doing that, I did it again, and it seemed ok..it finished and then automatically restarted my laptop..
The one last step I'm having problems with though is "Device Driver Conflicts. Is your hardware up to date?" It tells me to go into Device Manager but I am unable to because I get a pop up saying "MMC will not run with a version of Internet Explorer earlier than Internet Explorer 5.5." and it won't let me go into Device Manager..it just exits out.

· Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Please tell me you dont attack your computer with a vacuum... Im sure you know the effects of static on electronic equipment :facepalm:.

Anyway. I cant really suggest anything else apart from what has been posted Although if you haven't already. Make sure to run a disk cleanup/Defrag.

Also we need to know what happened when you ran "chkdsk /r" Its not the same as a defrag. Its different and may fix/show us your problem(s).
No I'm not, I only vacuum the outside of my laptop, like right now I would flip it over and just vacuum the fan part. I don't vacuum the inside of my laptop.

· ROG Enthusiast
1,497 Posts

but I am unable to because I get a pop up saying "MMC will not run with a version of Internet Explorer earlier than Internet Explorer 5.5." and it won't let me go into Device Manager..it just exits out.

This sounds more like you have a virus that needs killing :frown:.

I am not an expert in virus removal I am sure people in the appropriate section of the forums will be of more use But here is what i suggest:

14,939 Posts

Sorry I edited the above post because only Malware Approved experts are allowed to offer solutions for same on this forum so I had to edit the above post.
My suggestion is you go to the Malware Removal Forum and post the prescribed logs mentioned below...I am not stating I think you are infected but it is a good idea at this point to check out this thought before going any further....if clean please come back here to this thread!
http://www.techsupportforum.com/for...-posting-for-malware-removal-help-305963.html

· Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Ok, I'm back, ended up re-formatting, but now I'm all good, got a fresh start(had a huge problem with IE as well) and so far so good, thank you! =)

· Registered
61 Posts
A little bit late i know but i have something to add.
You said you get the error "MMC will not run with a version of Internet Explorer earlier than Internet Explorer 5.5." Earlier in the thread you said you removed Internet Explorer and there should be no traces of it. This would be why you were getting that error.
My suggestion is if you dont want to use IE just leave it, dont uninstall it otherwise you will encounter such errors.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.