Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 3 comps. i now a little ,but apparently not enough. iv'e changed hard drives before ,wiped them out then reinstalled windows ...but this one takes the cake .i'ts a dell,pII ,233, level 2 cache :512kb intergrated ,128mb memory,2mb video memory service tag cx6yq,ncpi(irq 9)optiplex gxa.win98.they had it to boot from hard drive only and i changed it to diskette to wipe and reinstall win 98,but when it was time to reboot it didn't work so i hooked hd to another comp and ran wipe then reinstalled win98,put it back in now won't read drives ...cdrom or hd .won't auto detect not sure if jumpers are wrong or what...can't find out how to set jumpers on them but not quite sure thats the problem got suggestions i could try have both comps hooked up help
:eek:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hrd drive not booting up at all

can't get to my comp,or anything not booting up might be bios but not sure any more suggestions those have been tried but thank you. cdrom set at master the hard drive is maxtor with no jumer on as single it 0 boot device available f1 or f2

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dell optiplex gxa not bootin up...

i have pII 233 mhz,intel chipset 82371ab/eb.80268,phoenix rom bios plus version 1.10 A05,ati rage pro video bios,128 ram,it had win98 but origionally 95 i think,it had to much stuff in it,i tried fdisk and deleted the drive then fdisk put it back in then i forgot to format c:,so i hooked hard drive to another comp and done same thing only i re installed win98 on it ,moved it back to other comp. and it won't auto reconize hard drive or cd-rom. not sure if ide controller needs to be reinstalled or i have the jumpers wrong,or if i have the master and slave positioning wrong . please help no smart alics allowed thank you ......:wave:

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Re: Dell optiplex gxa not bootin up...

please help no smart alics allowed thank you we dont allow that !

I think your problem stems from installing the OS while using a different computer / you see when an OS is installed the hardware detection is set-up for each individual computer spec, then when you change or transplant the drive, the OS doesnt find the hardware inventory it is expecting

in your shoes, I would wipe the drive with dariks boot n nuke (free)
http://dban.sourceforge.net/

then do a fresh partitioning with FDISK / dont forget to format the drive while you are working with the boot disk

then / resintall the win 98 OS

keep us posted

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Re: hrd drive not booting up at all

the maxtor hard drive which you intend to use as a boot drive must have a jumper on it / master jumper would be expected

to be a master the drive must be at the end of the data cable / not in the middle is there are other drives on the same cable

can you get into the bios ????? if not, this suggests a more involved hardware problem

do the case cooling fans and hard drives spin when powered up ????

please outline everything you have observed and everything you have tried

best regards

joe :wave:

·
Registered
23,001 Posts
Re: no device drivers please help

Hi,

Please try rephrasing your question. What is not working - in which computer?

And - please - use paragraphs.

*edit* It looks like the threads have been merged now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

sorry, page was down or something yesterday could not reply thanx linderman and eneles for replying makes sense...i'm gonna try the boot n nuke. as to the other questions i have a cd-rom but both are on their own cables at the end . the cd-rom what should it be set at single slave or master?yes eneles i'ts the same computer their to . i made to posts before i found out how to correctly do that wish i could combine them so everyone doesn't get confused ...lol computer is dell optiplex gxa (i have 3 different computers sorry):wave:Georgana

·
Premium Member
8,701 Posts

If the drives are on the cables by themselves they should be at the end of the cable and both should be jumpered as Master

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.