Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] HP only charges when powered off!

25K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  night_shift 
#1 ·
I have an HP dv7-1260us, and the power adapter light is on, everything is plugged in correctly, but the charging light in the front of the laptop is flashing. It charges the battery just fine when the laptop is powered off. If I am booted up into my OS, and it's not charging, I can unplug the power source from the wall and wait a few seconds, then plug it back in. THEN it charges for a few minutes, or a few seconds then it goes back to battery power and flashes the front lightning bolt indicator.

#4 ·
Re: HP only charges when powered off!

Hi awkellet

Did your laptop come with Windows 7 or was it an upgrade? Try this procedure below. I found this somewhere and it may relate to your problem, I cant remember where I found it so I cant give credit to the originator. Give it a try see what happens.

01. Turn off laptop.

02. Unplug AC power.

03. Remove battery.

04. Replace AC power.

05. Turn on laptop, allow OS to boot.

06. Once logged in to the machine, perform a normal shut down.

07. Unplug AC power.

08. Replace battery.

09. Replace AC power.

10. Turn on laptop, allow OS to boot.

#5 ·

FIX! Power brick had a short and smelled funny... Re-soldered the power and ground wires, and everything works again.

If anyone else has this problem, try someone else's power adapter of the same brand and model. Then buy a new power block if you're not comfortable soldering power wires.

#6 · (Edited)

Well done :smile:

Could you please mark this thread as solved.
Go to the first post on this page.
On the tool bar above, open Thread Tools.
Click in the box Mark this thread as solved.
You are now solved.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.