Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I use my HP Laptops CD to reinstall XP Home on my sisters PC, using her serial?

My sister dug her old Dell out of storage and has XP Home on it but cant find her CD. Luckily Dell pastes the serial on the side of the case. The problem is my only XP Home CD is the one that came with my laptop and its not a real store bought XP Home, its some kind of production issue. It is similar to my Dads XP CD from Dell, thats not a real store bought CD either.

We have to reinstall everything from scratch its beyond repair.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Re: HP Manufacturures XP CD Same as store bought?

The XP CD from the store wouldn't work with her code. The store sells "Retail" versions of XP and the code from HP, Dell, etc will only work with an "OEM" XP CD, which they do sell online (for less than the ones they sell in stores, actually).

You probably have an OEM CD from HP, but they might have customized it. It is possible that the CD could allow you to install XP on her PC using her code, but it is also possible that you cannot. It all depends on how much HP modified that CD. Some computer manufacturers modify their CDs so that they will only install on hardware from the same manufacturer. The disk may also be modified to only accept an HP XP product key code. The disk may also be modified special for HP hardware with special HP drivers and software that could cause problems if installed on another system.

If you believe the PC is beyond repair you can back up her data with a live Linux CD and a flash drive and they try installing XP from the CD. One of four things will happen.

1. The install could fail when you insert the CD into the PC with an incompatible or wrong hardware error
2. The install could fail when you enter in her product key. It may not accept her key. An option in this case may be to install XP using your keycode and then change the keycode from inside Windows before you have to activate Windows. This even may not work, though.
3. The install could work, but the PC may have software issues or extra software installed from HP.
4. The install could complete successfully.

It's worth a shot I think. Let me know if you have more questions.
BMR777

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: HP Manufacturures XP CD Same as store bought?

Ahh ok mate, good info there. Ill have to ask some ppl I if they have an OEM XP Home logo CD I can borrow in order to do a good install.

Thanks for reply :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.