Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[SOLVED] How to put security on a computer so Employees can't "surf" the Net for pers

We have a problem with Employees using their work computers for personal use, we can't disconnect the internet because they use outlook express for their work email, but they are constantly using the browsers for youtube and other garb! Can i get rid of the browsers, set up some kind of security so they can't access webpages?? :banghead:

·
Manager, The Conversation Pit/Analyst, Security Te
14,513 Posts
Re: How to put security on a computer so Employees can't "surf" the Net for personal

What kid of router are you using?
Do you have a hardware firewall in place?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Re: How to put security on a computer so Employees can't "surf" the Net for personal

Suffice it to say I feel your pain. Easiest way would be to do this via group policy you have much more control and only have to do it in one place. You could try sticking in a fake proxy server just for http, but strange things tend to happen when you start messing with proxy stuff so that may not be such a good idea.

If you don't have a Domain then I reckon Windows Firewall is your best bet. I must admit that I have not done this before so it is only speculation, but you could go to firewall and advanced properties, add a new rule for a program (IE) and block outbound connections. Can't guarantee it will work but worth a shot. of course you would have to do it on every PC which is a pain. Especially since whenever there is a problem you would have to disable the rule to troubleshoot.

Or... you could change the security settings on IE and deny them access from executing it... or even rename the file I suppose to something like Iexplore.exe.bak (and hope they don't find some back door method of installing chrome.

What do you guys think about this one. I'm interested on the thoughts of others.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
31,873 Posts

After deleting any alternate browsers, Password Protect IE either on each computer or possibly via Group policy. For individual units see: Password protect and restrict use of Internet Explorer

·
TSF Emeritus
15,080 Posts

Hello

What version of Win7 are these PC?

I agree with jimscreechy that group policy would be the best approach

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

We are running Windows Vista business on our computers. We are connected through a Cisco Catalyst 3750 Switch which distributes internet to all of the workstations. We don't have a domain which im sure would definitely help the situation, so thats i all i know abouts that. What do you guys think? Thanks for the help on this!

·
TSF Emeritus
15,080 Posts

We are running Windows Vista business on our computers. We are connected through a Cisco Catalyst 3750 Switch which distributes internet to all of the workstations. We don't have a domain which im sure would definitely help the situation, so thats i all i know abouts that. What do you guys think? Thanks for the help on this!
I am guessing you are not the business IT support staff? Does your business have IT staff? or someone that manages the network

As your not part of a Domain i am guessing this is for a small number of staff?

Are you able to set up policys through gpedit.msc?
Setup Group Policy to restrict internet access

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

We are a small business, unfortunately i am the "IT" guy, which i have very little experience, but i do know how to work around a computer a little. The people that manage the network for us is the internet provider, but i was wondering if this was something I could do without having to call them? your thoughts?

·
31,873 Posts

How many workstations?

·
31,873 Posts

Then follow my post #4. You might even want to leave trusted employees as is and only change the offenders'. With 20+ then GP would be needed because of the extra work.

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,755 Posts

Hi, outlook express does not work on Vista, so I assume you mean "outlook" bundled with MS office. This way is simple and will block ALL browser access. Go to control panel, internet options then the connections tab, select "lan settings" make sure no other boxes are checked, put a check in Proxy settings, type 127.0.0.1 for the proxy address and change port 80 to 90, OK out.

Now on each machine, users logged on, run this reg mod (it is unlikely they will know about this, as the key has to be created, it is not a default setting change) It will remove the "connections " tab from Internet options,(you can do this for many other tab's as well) so they cannot change anything.

I will only leave this here for two days, so if you decide to use this method make a note, to undo simply navigate to the key and delete. Run the attached .zip file it returns a .reg file double click this and agree to add to registry.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts

As I mentioned I don't particularly favour this method as a long term solution. Dummy proxy settings can sometimes have adverse and unexpected effects on connectivity.

My advise would be to start (seriously) thinking about getting a domain controller. You may be a small business but with 12 workstations and restrictions on control you're already experiencing it is time to take the step up in infrastructure facilities. I don't consider it to be a productive investment in time or resources running around making config changes to 12 workstations. More issues like this will crop up, the need for more control and better management of your systems will arise and you will spend your time scrambling for fixes which may introduce other issues, hinder productivity or impair stability. Group policy is only one small aspect of the multitude of facilities at your disposal in a domain environment, and given that there is no scalability in your current solution I'm inclined to think moving from your current model is your best bet.

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,755 Posts

Hi, for a permanent and long term solution I agree with jim's post, although I have never seen problems with this method especially in a controlled work environment, there is nothing inherently wrong with setting the proxy this way, unless someone interferes, and that would need to be deliberate.

You do realize without a browser you will need to get updates installed a different way!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Thanks guys for all of the great Ideas, i do agree that a domain controller is something we should do, thanks for the information, there is one workstation that we need to control as of now but im sure there will be more in the future just as jimscreechy said.

I did gpedit on that computer and now the browser cannot connect, but i believe this will only be a short term fix till we get the domain controller

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Okay so we do have a hp proliant ml110 g7 server with windows server 2008 on it, we only use this for our accounting database and program, is it possible to setup a domain controller on this server and have our workstations connect to that and set restrictions?

·
31,873 Posts

I'm kind of sensing you're the owner. Your server has remote availability so again, a guess on my past that the "tech' is being done off site. Your server is a starter item and is no longer made. If I were you and my financial "package" is on the server, I'd quit before a real problem arises. As a retired CEO my recommendation is to start the disciplinary procedure on the main offender and if no improvement, termination. IMHO your problem is a personnel one rather than a technical one.

·
Registered
12 Posts

What are your firewall options? I know industry standard is Dell Sonic Wall which has many content filtering features. You may have to consult with your networking team on what solutions are out there for you.

Can you give some details to your infrastructure?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Thank you all for the good insight!

Squeeks, im sorry, im pretty new to this, what do you mean by infrastructure??

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.