Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on a Acer pc running Windows 7 and I suspect the M/B to be bad ( bulging caps and no boot) I have a good running Vista home premium which I don't use anymore. I installed the HD(hitachi) in the Vista HP Pavilion and it won't boot. I know the hd is good because I connected it to my laptop using a usb adapter and saw and accessed the files. Is there something I am missing? I did clear the cmos on the hp board.
Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
19,585 Posts
Re: How to install a Windows 7 HD in a Vista PC

you cannot use that hd on another computer per microsofts oem license. The operating system can never be transfered to another computer. Even it it would be legit, You cannot installed harddrive with an operating system installed on it onto another computer because the drivers will not work. different hardware, different drivers.

·
Registered
40,653 Posts

To Add to what SoBeIt is saying, When Windows is installed on a computer, it takes a snapshot of the motherboard, chipset etc and loads drivers specific to that hardware. When you remove that HDD and place it into a different computer, when the computer boots the HDD looks for the previous hardware and can't find it and it BSOD's or fails to boot. You would have to do a clean install on the computer you want to use the HDD on.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks for the replies. I didn't think about that. I have a license for both os and just thought it would work.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.