Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for some files from different folders in a computer so I searched for it using normal windows search and the result has come around 1000 files.

Now when I try to copy all these files and paste it in an external usb, it could not copy because most of the file names are same(though in different paths). Also, I'm not able to check the total sizes of the results.

I wonder then how I can copy all these 1000 files into my usb.

My OS is win xp professional

·
Team Manager , Articles Team
11,900 Posts
Re: how to copy all search result files into an USB (even if file names are same)

Hello comonforall,

One laborious way to do this would be to temporarily rename them; for instance, if the file is called "Help", rename it to "Help(1)"; then when transferred to their final location, remove the numbers and brackets.

Incidently, what files are you trying to move? If they belong to the Windows XP Operating System; then, transferring them will be useless, because they will not in another location other than the one that they were originally installed.

Post back with the file names.

Kind Regards,

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: how to copy all search result files into an USB (even if file names are same)

They are just pdfs, docs, excel and some images.

·
11,900 Posts

They are just pdfs, docs, excel and some images.

In that case, are you just using the USB as storage, to give you more room on the HDD?

If you are then try moving them in batches, meaning pdfs as a batch etc. Renaming them should allow you to transfer them to the USB.
However, if the files etc. have the same name then they are possibly duplicates, even though they have different paths; you'll need to check this too.
Another alternative would be to create folders for each type; such as, .pdfs; docs; excel; and pics.
Once you create the folders and you have placed the items in their respective folders you'll be able to transfer them to the USB.
Windows will create the new folders as it does the transfer to the USB.

Give it a try and post back with the results.
Regards,

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks again.

No, those 1000 files(search results) from a computer hard drive and I want it to copy to a USB which I need to send to someone.

I'm not sure what you mean by "move files in batches" and as to rename files, I think renaming each file will be difficult for me.

·
11,900 Posts

Thanks again.

No, those 1000 files(search results) from a computer hard drive and I want it to copy to a USB which I need to send to someone.
Thanks for that I now understand your plight.

I'm not sure what you mean by "move files in batches" and as to rename files, I think renaming each file will be difficult for me.
Sorry for the misunderstanding..I'll explain;
Get all the pdf files; create a folder, calling it pdfs, put all the pdf files in that folder; and transfer the folder to the USB; then repeat the process for all the other file extensions.

See how you go with a few files and post back with the results.
:4-cheers:

·
Registered
40,732 Posts

The search results are just like a table of contents, these are not the actual files but Short cuts to the actual files. By using Search, you can find the actual path of the files, then go to that directory and copy the files and paste them into the Flash.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thank you.

I finally managed to copy all files together in USB using a software called Supercopier. It automatically renames all files if it finds file names are same.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.