Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Dell XPS 8700. It has several mini jack output ports:

Green - Front speakers out
Orange - Center/Subwoofer out
Black - Rear out
Grey - Side out

I have a 5.1 Sony home theater system that I would like to connect it to. Right now I just have it connected to the green out and then using a y adapter it's connected to the red and white input on my receiver. This achieves 2.0 stereo sound that is great for music, but not optimal for gaming. I'm curious as to what sort of cable/adapter I could get that might allow me to connect the additional ports to my receiver? The receiver has red/white inputs, optical (not sure the actual name) inputs and hdmi inputs. I have searched google for a while, but I'm not getting anything useful, likely because I'm not sure of the terminology I should be searching on.

Any suggestions?

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Hardwa
19,823 Posts
Re: How To Connect Audio Out To Home Theater System

Not much you can do with the current hardware. I'm not aware of any analog to digital converters.

Your only option would be the digital outputs (ie: optical and HDMI). They would work for surround audio from a surround source (ie: a DVD movie with DD51 audio). Digital outputs typically don't work for gaming. To go this route, you would simply need to install a sound card with a digital output (optical).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Not much you can do with the current hardware. I'm not aware of any analog to digital converters.

Your only option would be the digital outputs (ie: optical and HDMI). They would work for surround audio from a surround source (ie: a DVD movie with DD51 audio). Digital outputs typically don't work for gaming. To go this route, you would simply need to install a sound card with a digital output (optical).
Well I have an Nvidia graphics card with HDMI out that will do surround sound. The only issue is whenever I switch inputs on my receiver and come back, the sound channels seem all messed up. I have to power off/on the receiver before they work properly again. Bit of a hassle but I guess it's better than just stereo sound.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Would another option be to use a set of 5.1 computer speakers with the appropriate connectors for the 3 ports or is using a better card with the home theater system a more appropriate option?

For a sound card I was thinking of the Sound Blaster Z.

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Hardwa
19,823 Posts

HDMI outputs often do that. When HDMI devices are turned on/booted/connected, the communicate and share operational information. When you switch inputs, this handshake does not reoccur.

Yes you could simply get analog computer speakers. There are several options available, it just boils down to brand preference and budget. I use a Logitech system (the Z-5500), but there are other cheaper models as well.

Creative is the most common, but I prefer Asus. There are numerous cheap brands as well, which work fine most of the time. The downside are the drivers and support.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.